Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:03 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: new hobie 16 questions
PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2006 4:03 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I'm interested in getting into sailing, and I'm looking to purchase this hobie 16:
http://austin.craigslist.org/boa/169762979.html

Basically what yall know is more or less than what I know. I am a complete newbie when it comes to sailing, and have actually never sailed but would like to get into the sport, so what should I ask exactly?

Also, how much should I expect a new trampoline to cost, as well as new ropes (he said the boat needs new ropes, not sure what all that means)

Anyways, please let me know everyone's thoughts.
thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2006 6:35 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Hmmm, looks like you are from Austin, TX. Depending on where on Lake Travis this is you could take me along.
Your first question should be ... Is there a title for the boat? If not, do not consider it as a boat that you would ever get legally on a lake in TX.
Second question should be... Are the hulls solid? If they are not, look for one with solid hulls.
Ropes... as in new mainsheet, jib sheet and haul yards and possibly tramp lacing. Generally expected when you get something used that has been outside for a while. Could be as cheap as $50.00, could be as much as $150.00 if you want something fancy.
Trampoline... could be as cheap as $250.00 for a non Hobie brand aftermarket tramp or about $400.00 for a class legal Hobie tramp.
Here is some other stuff that I noticed on the pics... When the seller states the boat is a 80's model he probably means that more literarily (as in 1980 AD) not as the boat is from the 80's (as a decade). The sail # might actually indicate that the boat is even older than that. Ask for the hull #.
I do not see any upgrades that make the Hobie life a bit easier... rudder blades are stock (Lexan), Mainsheet system is stock (Seaway), and there is only one pair of trap wires. Not that I can see it but I would assume the boat has non adjustable rudder arm and no Comptip (all of than is not a big deal if you do not plan on racing the boat.
Trailer... The trailer is a dilly tilt trailer - nothing special, but not bad. The hitch is cheap ($20.00) the problem is it is welded to the trailer. At least it was in my case. You have to cut the weld with an angle grinder to get it off.

Patrick

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2006 7:05 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

heh I'm actually from houston, but do attend UT. I am willing to drive up to austin to pick it up, but ya if I do decide to buy it, it'd be great if someone experienced (like yourself) could come along and just make sure everything is good.
I dont care to really race it, untill I actually learn how to sail well etc.

Anyways I'll ask him for the hull number and see what he says. Also, do you think you'd be willing to go out with me and check it before I pick it up? I'd actually really appreciate that :)
thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2006 8:16 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

email me at [email protected] and let me know where the boat is stored and when you are planning on looking at it. Most of the cats on Lake Travis are sitting in the Volente beach area.
Definitely ask for the title and the soft hulls - without a title you will not be able to register the thing with the dep. of Park & Wildlife. Soft hulls (delamination / seperation between foam core and fiber glass laminat) are not uncommon, especially in hot regions - Repair is possible - and I would consider it for my own boat if it would turn soft. I would not buy someone else’s soft boat and start fixing it.
Patrick

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2006 12:56 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

ok, I just talked to the guy, so here's the deal:
No soft spots on the hull, he says the hulls are actuall in very good condition

The ropes that need to be changed are all the nylon ones - the ones that raise the sail, jib, etc, so I take it they'd cost $150ish?

The trampoline - in the pics he sent, it looks good, but he said it's been
out in the sun, and he thinks if you apply pressure, it's fall through

The mast needs cleats at the bottom - what does that mean, and how much?

And finally, this is the only thing I'm worried about - I think the guy works at a marina, and says the boat was abandoned a while ago. He said he had a friend check the vin #'s, and the boat has never been registered or titled. He's going to look into getting a title for it, so we still gota wait about that, but what does everyone here think about that? Is it possible to get a title for the boat?
Personally, I will require it having a title, because I dont want to get into any legal trouble. Anyways, please let me know yalls response.
Thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2006 5:36 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Hmmm, abandoned... what happens is the owner of the boat stopped paying on the spot where the boat was stored. The Marina made some effort to collect some of the money that was owed - without success. Not sure if this establishes in the eye of the law an abandoned boat. I am almost certain that the Marina has no right to sell this property. I am also relatively sure that the TX Dept. of Parks and Wildlife will not issue a title to the owner of the Marina.

The TX Dept. of Parks and Wildlife is well known for making it extremely difficult if not impossible for people in possession of a boat with out a title to obtain one.

Last year a guy from San Antonio posted here on this board. He assembled a nice Hobie 16 out of 2 and 1/2 parts boats. He was unable to register the Hobie and I saw him later selling the thing in parts on ebay.

Patrick

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2006 5:41 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Search for a posting on this page titled... " Nightmare in Texas (Warning--Long Post) Registration Horror "

Patrick

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2006 10:30 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

heh ok thanks. The guy said he will look into getting a title (I said I probally wouldnt buy it without one)

I found another catamaran that is cheaper, but older - 1978. The guy claims the sails are in very good condition, and the hulls are not bad, but 1 soft spot that is 1 foot by 3 inches. This boat is actually pretty cheap (The guy seems like he just needs to get rid of it because he's moving). The guy said all it needs is a new mast base (he said the hook broke off) and said he can give me the contact number of a place that will repair it for $40 for the piece + $20 for the labor, which is very cheap. I am actually seriously considering getting this, because I've never sailed, and might as well start off with something cheap just to make sure I like the sport, and go from there. Has a title and registration on both trailer and boat :)

Anyways anyone heard about a broken mast base or whatever? Also this guy is located in houston, so I wouldnt have to drive all the way to austin (He's located in south houston, a 1 hour drive away (houston is extremely big) vs austin being a ~2 hour drive away)

Any suggestions? I figure I can get the soft spot repaired professionally for not too much (since the boat is cheap nayways, so it'll balance the cost) or even possibly try it myself, but I'd prefer professionally.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2006 8:24 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I would recommend NOT getting a "fixer upper" 1978 or such boat that needs "new lines", "potentially new trampoline", "some soft spots fixed" especially if you haven't sailed before. You might save some $$ on the purchase price, but the headache in paying for, getting, installing all of the replacement parts, as well as the continual insecurity of not knowing what else needs to be replaced, would make for a not-so-fun rest of this summer.

I recommend to look for a complete boat, ready to sail, (of course you are going to have to purchase SOME things-- PFDs, Harnesses, Mast chips, etc., and you're going to have to make sure its rigged with righting lines, etc) so I would think that a fixer-upper for a first -time sailor would be too much of a headache.

BTW I just purchased a 1987 H-16 (my first Hobie!) in New Jersey ready to sail, already got it out 4 times over the last two weeks in Barnegat Bay, double trapped etc, and i've never been happier. In my mind, saving a few bucks up front is not worth it, especially when there is good wind out there and you're still waiting for a new trampoline.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2006 9:58 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Mast base... not a problem to change. All it takes is a drill to remove the rivets, some silicon to seal and HD style pop rivet tool (or alternatively a hardware store style pop rivet tool, big upper arms and a good set of swear words). Someone with a AC TIG welder could also weld the base - may be even while it is attached to the mast.

Soft spot repair... They are not difficult to fix - the materials are cheap (less than $50.00 - normal hand tools and some epoxy). The problem is it does not last most of the time. Other spots will develop next year. Look for instructions on the soft spot fix on this site.

In general.... you do not seem to be set on a Hobie 16... if you want a cat consider also Prindel 16 and 18 or Solcat or some of the older Nacra's. The Prindels and Solcats should be cheaper - the Nacras should not have the delamitation problem (no foam core)
I know some people will beat me for it - but I am not sure if a cat is a good first sailboat. A Hobie 16 is kind of powerful and can be overwhelming at the beginning (or even later) You might want to think monohull as well.
If you do not know how much you like sailing, you might want to try to get a ride with someone or sail as crew for someone. I regularly arrive at the lake where some of the guys with the 18 foot and bigger cats are offering rides because they are not comfortable sailing by themselves. (not sure if those offers would extend to non sailors). The same is true for the big mono hull owners - if they get stiffed by their crew, they stand by the dock with a desperate look in their faces.
Sailing school ... not sure but I think there might be one on the way to Galveston - I remember they rent windsurfing stuff too.

Patrick

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2006 11:07 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

johnny,

Go for the 80's model boat, you'll be happier in the long run. That is a decent price. You could save a few dollars, on a 70's boat, and the likelihood of soft spots goes up.

Unless...you like spending more time repairing than sailing. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2006 11:18 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I would go for the 80's one, but the main problem is that it doesnt seem to have a title :(

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2006 11:31 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Almost changed my post to A 80's model, to mean not necessarily that one. I understand Texas can be "particular", just sold a boat to a gentlemen from Ft. Worth.

As Patrick said, check the serial numbers on any boat, located at the rear, up high, of both transoms.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2006 11:59 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Heh I dont have too much of an interest in monohauls ;)
Here's the thing. I basically want a catamaran, and have about $1000 more or less to spend on it, and if I like it, then probally 1 or 2 years down the road I'd upgrade to a newer and much better boat. I usually goto galveston, near "catamaran alley" (A house on galveston where alot of friends who are mostly pro's sail their cats), and I've talked to some of the guys, they're pretty nice. I've also picked up a few books, and I think between possibly asking them and reading the books, I should be able to get going :)

It's just so hard to find a catamaran in my area.. I'm willing to go to austin/dallas/san antonio/houston to pick one up, but not too many available at the moment :(

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2006 10:52 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I went and saw the older cat today, and wow I was pretty impressed. The sails are the rainbow color and are very near excellent condition (no rips or tears, good color, etc)

The trailer was ok, looked to be a converted jetski trailer I think. The mast was good as well, only 1 small ding. The hulls were a bit faded but not as much wear. There was slight cracking in the paint etc, but just looked to be from time, not as if too much was broken. I'm really considering buying this, and if so I'd just repaint it myself with my spray gun. Now my question is, how "hard" is the hull supposed to feel? (What makes a soft spot exactly?)

Also, I would of bought it on the spot, but the guy didnt actually have a title for the boat nor trailer.... He called me back after I left and said he had a "Manufacturer state of origin", and he thinks that acts as a title for the boat? Does anyone have a definate answer on this? (The back of it has the places for signatures etc, like a title does)
He has registration receipts for the boat, and the "manufacturer state of origin", and the same goes for the trailer.

I doubt it's stolen, he has a binder full of all the original instruction books, paperwork etc, and he says everything that came with the boat is in there. Do yall have any suggestions about this? I definately dont want to run into any legal trouble, and would like to make sure that this is ALL the paperwork that is needed.
Also, I dont think he has an actual registration sheet, but rather registration receipts showing it was registered. He said the boat doesnt look to of EVER had stickers on it.. isnt it required since it is over 16 feet?
If anyone has some good info that'd be great.
thanks