Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:27 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 10:21 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Great forum-I have been reading posts for several months. Lots and lots of good information. I have sailed quite a few mono-hulls but never a cat. Looking forward to the experience. I picked up an '84 a few weeks ago. She was in pretty sad shape. Sat outside uncovered for quite a few years. Last registered in 1991. Trailer tires were rotted away. Craigslist find. No pictures with ad. Here are two the seller sent me.

300 miles away. I took a gamble and gave the guy a $100.00 deposit. Bought two new tires and arranged to pick it up. It had definitely been neglected but under all the moss and dirt I knew there was potential. The good-there are no soft spots on the tops of the hulls. No cracking at the back around the gudgeons. The mast was straight. Sails looked okay from what I could see by taking a quick look. Since my first look found out they are pretty stained but no rips or tears. Will clean them up the best I can and use them until I can afford new or newer to me sails. Trailer is very nice since I only had to replace the tires and the fiberglass cat box is in excellent shape. Thank goodness the trailer had Buddy Bearings as I pumped them full of grease before I made my return trip. Tramp is still serviceable.

Any ways-needless to say all of the rigging was pretty much toast. I took it to a local car wash to do the initial cleaning. Here are a few before shots:

As you can see it was pretty dirty. My wife told me she hoped I had not paid much for the POS.

Pre-car wash with a little elbow grease and Bar Keepers Friend-excellent stuff by the way.

Here are a few shots after the car wash and some hand clean up with more BKF. I still need to scrub a bit more on the tramp but what a difference:

As you can see she has cleaned up very nicely. Even my wife was impressed.

So far I have replaced all of the lines and shock cord, couple of cleats, bridle and forestay wires, main and jib halyards, trapeze rigs. It is adding up but I know I will get a lot of good out of the boat. We live right on the lake so I will not have to travel far to put her in the water.

Right now working on the rudders. Ordered new cams and the rest of the hardware. The current rudder pins seem to be seized in place. Having a hard breaking them free. Will take my time as I do not want to damage something else. Bottom of the hulls have a few nicks and scrapes but no holes. Will probably do a bottom job some day.

She will be well taken care of by me. No more sitting outside collecting moss, dirt and literally rotting away.

Sorry for being long winded. I am glad to be here and I look forward to my first sail. Already have her registered.

Last edited by dagnabbit on Thu Apr 18, 2013 9:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 12:28 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

looks good, all that goop on her may have protected her!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 3:05 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Congrats Steve - thanks for sharing your rescue effort! Hope you get her on the water soon.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 8:30 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Looks great!
I'm basically doing the same thing to a H16 I bought on the super low.. Had a great comptip mast, newer tramp and everything there with trailer - just no sails. You'd be amazed how well the hulls can be cleaned up and check very carefully for soft/crunchy spots on the tops and sides of the hulls ( It's worth fixing if not super bad )
Looks like ya picked up a nice boat and a great sail box on the trailer as well. Check on here and www.thebeachcats.com to pick up any misc parts you might find you need and good repair tips. Bar keepers friend is good stuff for sure! Be sure to Up the size of your trailer tires to 12" of you can since it looks like you'll need those for sure ;)
Tim

Glad to see another Hobie saved!

Memphis, TN fleet 134
Hobie 20! G-Cat5.0 and 2 Hobie 14's
Photobucket now wants $100 to post pics on forums......... pass.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 12:14 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Looks great!
I have a '85 H16 that was given to me. It looked similar to your except I had lichen growth on to both hulls. I got most off and will try BKF as well. I still need to replace all ropes/sheets and probably the trap (hiking straps dry rot).
Would love to post photos but not sure how to do that just yet!
http://i1297.photobucket.com/albums/ag3 ... 7f5379.jpg

Last edited by joeyporche on Wed Apr 17, 2013 9:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 2:20 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

open a photobucket account, upload to there, then copy the URL/IMG link.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 8:00 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanks. I am pretty happy with the boat. Probably paid more than I should have but he did come down some on it. I got the rudder pins out. Seems they were either plastic or fiberglass. Pretty deformed is why I could not pull them out. What does everyone else use for rudder pins? Looks like there are fiberglass, aluminum and stainless. I ordered some new aluminum pins. Probably need to order an extra set. Still trying to understand how the cam locks work with the rudders. Read a good post regarding that but need to find it again and read it a few more times before I fully understand it. Sometimes the old light bulb needs repeated jolts.

I had to replace the tires and pack the wheel bearings before I made the tow home. I put the same size tires on it. Did not even think about bigger tires. The trailer towed just fine the 300 miles home. I kept stopping to check the heat being generated by the bearings and the straps. No issues for either.

Like I said the hulls are in great shape-no soft spots at all. There are some nicks at the very bottom but nothing too major. I will sail it the way it is this year and probably do a bottom job this winter.

Once the weather warms up a bit more I will try stepping the mast and put the sails up. I want to take some more pics so you folks can check my rigging. Want to make sure I have it close before I set sail on the lake.

More later.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 9:35 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Fxloop-thanks to the pointer regarding Beachcats. I found a pictorial there on the rudder cams. I love pictures. Think I get it now on the rudder cams. Mine were both stuck rotated down. They should be good after the rebuild. You gotta love the web for sharing information. What a great tool it is indeed.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 9:20 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

joeyporche-your boat is looking good as well. Your sails look to be in a lot better shape than mine. Amazing what a little scrubbing can do.