Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 6:08 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Aftermarket Tramp
PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 2:36 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Can I race with an aftermarket tramp? Is it really that big of a deal?

Post subject: Re: Aftermarket Tramp
PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 8:43 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

It's a big deal. Only Hobie built trampolines are class legal for racing in Hobie Class Association sponsored events.

That aside, even if I didn't race, I wouldn't buy anything but a Hobie trampoline for my Hobie. They are higher quality and will last longer than aftermarket products. There is no stitching in a factory Hobie trampoline to wear out or deteriorate from UV exposure. The "seams" are heat welded, which yields a much stronger and more durable product. I have a factory trampoline on my Hobie 14 that is 30 years old and is still solid.

H16 Seabreeze #112205 (Richard Petty Signature Edition)
H14T Fantasia #47787
San Juan 28

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2012 11:18 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Just got TODAY a aftermarket tramp from TampaTarps and it has a new design the cut is diagonal with a cover velcro down the diagonal to cover the rope.

The original Hobie Cat Tramp will be removed and placed in a cool dry place for any Class races that might come up. It was removed while it was in pretty good shape

The new tramp was only $150.00 and arrived 4 days after order was placed
Former Hobie Admiral Gary

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 10:58 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

plaster: Those seem like simple questions, but they're really not. It will depend highly on where and with whom you are racing.

Technically, your boat is required to be legal for Hobie class racing. Whether you will get protested or not is the question, because you won't have much chance of winning the protest. Finally, are you willing to take the chance that you'll have a good enough time that it's worth it even if you're disqualified in every race?

Note that, even sailing on Portsmouth handicap, your are technically required to follow class rules or take a rating hit for the non-legal equipment, weight, or whatever. You're probably not so likely to be protested compared to a class event, though.

You really need answers from the folks you'll be racing with. I'm sure there are areas where one doesn't even consider doing such a thing. Around here at non-Hobie events, you probably wouldn't get protested (until you started beating a lot of people!). Be aware that rules are rules, though, so even if everyone you talk to says it's no big deal, you can be protested!