Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 1:12 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 3:04 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

A couple times i will go out and i wished i could reef, i have a 83 so it has a reefing point but i dont know how/what to tie.
so any pics or diagrams?
thanks optikid

1983 Hobie 16 Cat fever #55697
2008 Laser Radial/4.7 #190471
S.S.S.
S.Y.S.P

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2012 9:02 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

bump

S.S.S.
S.Y.S.P

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2012 12:29 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Optikid-Hobie Alter told us at a "How To Sail A Hobie Cat" talk on the beach at Crown Point, San Diego about 32 years ago that sailing a H16 in high wind with the main reefed is a very smooth sail. I've only done it 3 times and he's right. The 16 doesn't pop up. It comes up slowly and is much easier to control.
As I'm sure you already know there are two stop sleeves (I believe that's what they are called) at the top of the halyard which can hook under the halyard hook at the top of the mast. One brings the main all the way up, and the other is the one you use when you reef the main so that it'll be about 1½-2 ft. below the top of the mast. So, what do you do with the boom and the bottom of the sail??? You get several pieces of rope or bungie and bring the boom up carefully toward the reefing gromets and tie them off. Then tighten the downhaul. Don't worry about the outhaul.
I hope you'l try this.
Have fun and be safe!

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2012 5:36 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

so i rig it normal but put line on the corners and bungee on the middle ones right?

thanks

S.S.S.
S.Y.S.P

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2012 6:13 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Rig normal....I'm sure you realize that the main isn't raised all th way to the top. Otherwise, it's rigged normal.
Line on the corners - Yes, definitely, because of the blocks (sheeting in) and the downhaul.
Bungie in the middle - Okay,but I prefer line. Line doesn't give, but I don't think it really matters in the middle.
The end product: you're reducing the sail area from the top and scrunching up carefully the boom and bottom of the sail. I zig zag it carefully and tie the line to the reefing gromets on the bottom of the main. Feed the gooseneck on the boom into the bottom of the mast and tighten it - just like you normally would. That's your downhaul.
The good news is you don't have to do this perfect. After you do it, you'll know if it'll work or not.

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2012 7:08 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

OPTIKID - Go to Reefing a Hobie 16 Mainsail posted Fri. Jan. 29, 2010 at 5:34 am by kru518. It has a great explanation and picture of a reefed main on a H16 at the end.
Richard

kru518

Post subject: Reefing a Hobie 16 Mainsail

Posted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 5:34 am

Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hello All,

I've never reefed the main before but there sure has been a time or two that I could have used it but wasn't sure just how to do it. Can anyone tell me the proper technique and tools and materials I'll be needing? Also, has anyone done this while on the water... most times, I find myself out sailing and the wind is stronger then my skill level and it would be great to put her in irons and be able to throttle back and stay out there enjoying the day w/o risking my neck. thanks in advance.