Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:16 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Boat history
PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2012 2:16 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I recently purchased my first sailboat, a Hobie 16, that I am super excited about. I have absolutely zero sailing experience. So I was doing some research trying to figure out my boat's history. The sails appear to be the 81 Boomer Nationals edition. The boat was advertised as an 84' and the serial number reads CCMQ8266M83D.

So I got that it is a Hobie 16, serial number 8266, but the M83D doesnt make sense to me according to the serial number guide in the FAQ. Any idea's?

I am also looking for a sailing instructor for my girlfriend and I in the Manhattan, Kansas area!

Post subject: Re: Boat history
PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2012 8:15 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Hi skywestseth - she looks great!

M83D means ("M") model year 83, "D" means production month (Production Month (A=August, B=September...)... [see also http://www.hobiecat.com/support/article ... erial.html]

The sails do seem to be what you say. The sail guide shows the first year a sail pattern was introduced but sails may have been reissued or married to a different boat over time.

enjoy.. and watch the bottom on those rocky beaches :shock:

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2012 9:42 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Clean looking boat. I envy you a little. Learning to sail on a 16 I can imagine is quite fun. About a month ago I helped a guy rig his 18 for the first time, we met through this forum. I'm sure you will find someone in your area that will show you the ropes.

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 4:52 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

congratulation
it also looks like your sail is not all the way up.

the boat in my sig was a cat fever made in 1981 but my hulls are 83. they remake the more popular ones some times, but the only put it on the chart the first time they used it.

1983 Hobie 16 Cat fever #55697
2008 Laser Radial/4.7 #190471
S.S.S.
S.Y.S.P

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 8:04 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Sailing instruction?

Sure!!!

Hobie Fleet 297 Meets every Tuesday night at Bloomington Park on Clinton Lake near Lawrence Kansas. Just touch base and let us know you are coming and we can set you up! Depending on the evening you may not even need to bring your own boat...

Also.. This weekend.. There is a regatta on Cheney Lake. the Prairie Regatta... I am certain we could come up with plenty of instruction there... Heck I know anyone from Fleet 297 would be happy to help.. and we are expecting 5 five H16's from our fleet alone to be there...

Then I think the weekend after that another Regatta.. Not sure if I am headed north or south..

But then look for us again at Clinton Lake pretty much any weekend there isn't a nearby Regatta.. I try and sneak out to the lake for the weekend whenever possible.

Ron Holm

913 284 6571

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 8:00 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Ron, I have your number and will be looking to meet up with the fleet at some point!

Thanks for all the comments! I became sort of impatient and did some waterborne experimenting with the boat. So I have two semi successful trips so far. I did a ton of reading and have a good understanding of the physics behind sailing, it seems to relate quite a bit to aviation.

I have put a slight hold on sailing at the moment because the mast step has the little holes broken off and I don't have the hinge. Basically I am sick of almost killing myself trying to raise the mast. So I had to order a few parts.

I also got a copy of some "Hobie University" publications and have learned quite a bit from that.

I guess another question for the masses, where do you guys buy your Hobie parts from?

Ron, How is the sailing store in Lawrence?

Seth

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 8:26 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Seth, I'm new too, but so far I've been ordering a lot of parts from:
http://www.murrays.com
They're pretty good and seem to be reputable in these circles.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2012 5:59 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

skywestseth wrote:
Ron, I have your number and will be looking to meet up with the fleet at some point!

Thanks for all the comments! I became sort of impatient and did some waterborne experimenting with the boat. So I have two semi successful trips so far. I did a ton of reading and have a good understanding of the physics behind sailing, it seems to relate quite a bit to aviation.

I have put a slight hold on sailing at the moment because the mast step has the little holes broken off and I don't have the hinge. Basically I am sick of almost killing myself trying to raise the mast. So I had to order a few parts.

I also got a copy of some "Hobie University" publications and have learned quite a bit from that.

I guess another question for the masses, where do you guys buy your Hobie parts from?

Seth
Seth, the store in Lawrence is not a Hobie dealer. I've got a garage full of used parts. We can get you on the water. Come out Tuesday evening, I'll be showing a newbie how to rig her yellow, '84 Hobie 16, and then we're going sailing. All my contact info is on our website. John Eaton

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 1:26 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

skywestseth wrote:

I guess another question for the masses, where do you guys buy your Hobie parts

from?

Seth

I can't wait to see you on the water. Please feel free to call, email or post here with any questions.

We also have an email list we send out to our fleet with activities, events, gatherings and whatnot. I can add you to that if you want. Just shoot me or John E. your email address

Oh and personally when I buy new Hobie parts I have been buying them from Jim Sohn. He is a dealer in Des moines Iowa.

To say he knows his stuff is a complete understatement, and he is great to work with.

But like John. I have plenty of used stuff laying around also if you want.

Last edited by ronholm on Thu Jun 07, 2012 3:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 2:28 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

skywestseth wrote:
I recently purchased my first sailboat, a Hobie 16, that I am super excited about. I have absolutely zero sailing experience. So I was doing some research trying to figure out my boat's history. The sails appear to be the 81 Boomer Nationals edition. The boat was advertised as an 84' and the serial number reads CCMQ8266M83D.

So I got that it is a Hobie 16, serial number 8266, but the M83D doesnt make sense to me according to the serial number guide in the FAQ. Any idea's?

I am also looking for a sailing instructor for my girlfriend and I in the Manhattan, Kansas area!

Yours looks just like mine! Sails are 68162. She's an '82.