Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:05 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: A newbie needs advice
PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 9:30 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Very new to sailing and have been out soloing my '80 H16. Question is, when the gusts pick up and I'm flying a hull for brief periods of time, I feel that I'm right on the edge of tipping over. When I feel that tipping point coming what should I immediately do? Release the traveller a bit to power down? I read somewhere to sheet out the jib a bit to power down....

I love that edge of insanity but lately I've found I'm dumping more than I'm correcting.

Thanks in advance for your wisdom,

GC

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 9:41 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Head up a bit. If you're still on the edge let the main out a few inches.

Are you trapped out? That'll also reduce the heeling angle.

If I'm single handing and the wind speed is up I'll kneel on the tramp with my feet over the edge. If the hull lifts I'll roll over the side bar and place my feet on the deck while in a crouch.

If the hull continues to lift I'll extend my body and move my feet to the side bar.

After that it's time to head up and maybe slack off the main.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 8:46 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

When I solo in stronger winds and am not trapped out, I either put a foot through one of the straps or put my heels through the gaps in the center of the tramp. If the hull rises I uncleat the main sheet but don't let it out unless it starts to rise too fast or too high. If the hull starts to come down, pull the sheet tighter if you want to continue flying. Steering into the wind will also bring the hull down. If you get too high, let the sheet go and steer into the wind while leaning back. In gusty winds, you need to react quickly, letting the sheet out. I don't feel it is possible, when solo, to let out the jib in reaction to the hull rising. I set the jib and leave it alone. I don't let the traveler out to control it either. Use the main sheet and make sure the ratchet is off.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 9:17 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

hrtsailor wrote:
When I solo in stronger winds and am not trapped out, I either put a foot through one of the straps or put my heels through the gaps in the center of the tramp. If the hull rises I uncleat the main sheet but don't let it out unless it starts to rise too fast or too high. If the hull starts to come down, pull the sheet tighter if you want to continue flying. Steering into the wind will also bring the hull down. If you get too high, let the sheet go and steer into the wind while leaning back. In gusty winds, you need to react quickly, letting the sheet out. I don't feel it is possible, when solo, to let out the jib in reaction to the hull rising. I set the jib and leave it alone. I don't let the traveler out to control it either. Use the main sheet and make sure the ratchet is off.

Right... I travel the main out only if I can't keep the boat down consistently by just letting out a bit of main sheet... But if I am headed upwind.. typically I will travel the jib out first before traveling the main.. unless the gusts are huge..

When the big gusts hit I use a combo of sheeting the main out slightly and heading up.. (assuming just reaching for fun). You can even pinch the main sheet in your tiller hand and just leave them both there if you have to.. This way you are heading up and sheeting out at the same time..
This does reduce tiller feel.. which will let you know when you need to start heading up... But it works..

I also when sailing solo simply set the jib when I tack and forget about it..

I tend to leave the ratchet on.. just because I am less likely to dump myself in the lake when trapped.. and it is more comfortable to keep it out of the cleat.. With the ratchet off I cleat more often. My ratchet is usually engaged except in light air.

Also.. When heading up to flatten the boat.. remember if you are heeled way up in the air.. really flying a hull.. The rudder is not only going to turn the boat, but lift the front of the boat as you turn.. meaning if there is huge wind there is a decent chance of a wheelie as the air fills in under the tramp, ruining your 'perfect' save.. I have done that one several times.. So be mindful about boat balance, possibly momentarily shifting some weight forward when the hulls are really flying and you need to head up quickly to get it under control..

Then after the big puff.. and you want to get the hull back up where you like it.. Be sure not to dive back down in to deep... This is what I usually do looking for more air/power.. it is slow.. :) Watch the tell tales...

your technique should also change a bit if you are sailing on a broad reach instead of a reach/close reach when the wind is howling and you can't hold her down.. As in you might head down deeper to flatten the boat as heading up often will only power the boat up more.... But i don't think that is what you are talking about here

And get more practice so you can keep your head OUT of the boat.. and watch the gusts roll in, prepared for them instead of reacting to an unknown quantity..

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 7:52 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Thanks so much to all who replied. I am very green to the H16 and sailing in general and look forward to following your advice. The biggest thing I need is just more time & experience on the cat.

Again, really appreciate all your advice. Can't wait to get out this weekend!

Cheers!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 5:38 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Where do you sail gcoop?

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 9:28 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I sail on Osoyoos Lake, located in the southern interior of British Columbia. It's the warmest fresh water lake in Canada but really doesn't warm up until July.

Cheers.