Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:24 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 9:27 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Going to fix my mast to make it water-tight. I have a few questions.

First, I'm waiting for the mast to dry completely, then I'm taking it down and submerging it in my swimming pool to find the leaks. Will I need to pump air into it to find the leak bubbles?

Second, if the rivets are leaky, do I drill out the old rivets? Do you know what size drill bit I should use?

Third, if the seal at the top and bottom needs to be replaced ( I want this to be really water-tight) how would I get the sealant out of the top / bottom of the mast? Once it's out do I just re-seal it? What do I use?

I know this is a lot of questions and thanks to all that respond. This will be a weekend project next weekend.

Cheers!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 12:13 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Is it a comp tip or all aluminum. My all aluminum had foam plugs about 6 inches up from the bottom and down from the top. All I did was re-seal around those plugs with some silicon. Then a little squirt in every rivet. Also used silicon to seal the foot and head fittings into the mast before riveting them on. I would do all this before dumping it into the pool. I didn't do the pool thing and just assumed it would leak at all the rivets and screws. Has served me well. Dumped many times, but never turtled. Even sat on the mast head while over in the water and it always comes right back up to about a foot and a half under water right at the masthead. The only rivets you need to remove are the ones holding the foot and masthead on. Replace those with stainless and silicon them too. If your foam plugs have deteriorated, I'd replace them with some closed cell foam and seal them in. Good luck.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 11:00 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Hey thanks a lot mdgann!

Your advice was very helpful and I'll give you an update when I've completed the sealing.

Thanks again!