Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:38 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 10:44 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hey,

I rented a hobie 16 today, it was all pre-rigged and everything, so I just signed and took it out on the sea.
There was a consistant wind (say 8 knots), however when out the pin that holds the side shrouding for the main mast snapped causing the base of the mast to snap and to then fall into the water.

I was wondering is this normal to happen? They try to say it is my fault but surely it is their fault as the pins are designed not to come out, and so they must have rigged it incorrectly.

Thanks

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 11:44 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

I doubt you could push it hard enough at 8 knots of wind to be blamed for that type of equipment failure. More likely it was a part that was overdue to be replaced or they had things rigged so loose things were flopping around and causing undue stress. Either way, seeing that they rigged it for you, I'd stick to my guns. Not your fault.

Reminds me a bit of this video where Buddy flips a rental and the rudders are both lost to the sea. Hard to know what happened for sure in either case when your not there. If nothing else, this video may make you feel better.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IgtEZvDHIV8

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 2:16 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I'm not sure exactly what you're referring to but there are two pins: one is the anchor pin that is under the lip of the hull (it's a steel rod a few inches long) that the shroud is anchored to, and the other would be one of the small clevis pins above the hull at the shroud adjuster. The anchor pins can apparently break when they are old. It's hard to see how a clevis pin would break; they usually fall out if the retaining ring gets pulled off.

When you say "Snapped at the base" do you mean the mast broke, or the mast base casting broke away from the mast itself? Have a picture?

I concur with Murph; this sounds like a rigging or maintenance problem, especially in 8 knots.

'00 H16 #104691
'78 H16 #32692 ex-rental [gone]
Old Holsclaw trailer
My Hobie 16 pages

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 5:40 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

AntonLargiader wrote:
I'm not sure exactly what you're referring to but there are two pins: one is the anchor pin that is under the lip of the hull (it's a steel rod a few inches long) that the shroud is anchored to, and the other would be one of the small clevis pins above the hull at the shroud adjuster. The anchor pins can apparently break when they are old. It's hard to see how a clevis pin would break; they usually fall out if the retaining ring gets pulled off.

When you say "Snapped at the base" do you mean the mast broke, or the mast base casting broke away from the mast itself? Have a picture?

I concur with Murph; this sounds like a rigging or maintenance problem, especially in 8 knots.

Sorry, I am sailing more regularly however still am learning the correct terms. I think it was the Clevis pin alongside the retaining ring, its Figure 24 in the manual:
http://static.hobiecat.com/digital_asse ... Manual.pdf

The shroud cable kept intact ring, however it was not connected to the boat at all, and there was no sign of any pin (clevis or retaining) so obviously I can't say which was the fault, however It sounds like retaining ring.

The mast was damaged at the base purely down to the mast falling down unexpectedly, and then it seemed to be the mast casting base as you said. I am still at hotel so can take a picture tomorrow, however am unable to be 100% certain.

Thanks, they do leave the boats on the beach always, and just hoist the sail when it is being used, so if they should be regularly checked then it is possible that the ring got caught.

Thanks for the help :) I must say was great fun for the first 5 minutes before it broke , Hobie's are fun boats.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2013 12:47 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

It was not your fault. There are too many little details like that to be able to keep up with every one of them, and also sail the boat. I always tape those rings in place with 3M 33+ electrical tape-well almost always. Without protection on the rings, a sheet, or righting line can snag it, and pull it out of the pin.

I used to race a boat that got pulled all over the country. All the rigging was taken off between venues, and once that same pin got overlooked for taping during reassembly. During a race, one pin and the ring fell out. Fortunately, it was the leeward shroud, and we had spares onboard, but it had to be replaced before rounding the next mark. Thankfully, it wasn't in heavy air I never forgot taping again after that.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2013 2:24 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Ok, Maybe I should tape mine, but I ordered the vinyl shroud covers also........

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2013 6:09 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Use 3M 33+ black electrical tape-comes in colors too-available in Lowes and Home Depot where the electrical tools are. Don't' stretch it more than you have to, and don't snap it off to finish. To finish the end, keep your fingertips off the sticky side, cut it with a sharp utility knife, and smooth it down. It'll last for years if need be. If you stretch it at the last part, it will unwind. My shrouds have the pins taped inside of the vinyl covers, and of course any ring out in the open .

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2013 6:22 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Keep that stuff! Use to install car audio back in late 80's. there is no equal.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2013 2:52 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

How does the base of the mast snap? It is not supposed to be connected in any way to the step cup on the crossbar. The mast is supposed to be able to rotate freely in the step cup when you are sailing. Before sailing the mast step ling is supposed to be disengaged (figure 26, 27, and 30). Was it the step link that snapped? Maybe that rental was not as pre-rigged and everything as they said it was. Don't let them try to get you to pay for the step link.

Nick624