Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:12 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 8:59 am 
Site Rank - Captain

While my first boat ever was an H12 Monocat, most of my sailing has been racing on larger yachts in the Great Lakes and Pacific off Long Beach. Trying to figure out the rigging for my H16 jib. After several years without a sailboat, and relocation across the country, I now have my "dreamboat" and am in the process of restoring it only to sail it at the local reservoir (Folsom Lake) and the occasional jaunt up to Lake Tahoe or Donner Lake .

First, boats that i have sailed either have luff clips for the jib attaching to the fore stay or the jib feeds into the fore stay kinda like the main into the mast. How does the H16 work? Is it just tensioned so the luff is taught and won't blow out? That would be tension in line with that of the fore stay.

Second, how are the sheets rigged. I am still putting together that parts as the boat is older and missing a lot... is there a block system at the clew in addition to separate sheets running to the blocks?

Third, I have all of the hardware, but no sheet. What is the best length & width for the jib sheets?

Thanks a ton for the feedback and wisdom.

Last edited by dexter on Fri Oct 19, 2012 8:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 7:01 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Hi Dexter - take a look here or do a search in the forums for more (lots of similar questions answered):
viewtopic.php?f=14&t=42511&p=176682&hilit=Jib+sheet#p176682

Also, if you still have a question will be happy to assist but the rig often differs boat to boat so a photo of your setup might help. viewtopic.php?f=18&t=8574

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 11:51 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

http://static.hobiecat.com/digital_asse ... Manual.pdf

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2012 6:33 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

The Hobie parts book (also available online) lists the size and length for all the lines. Also, I think you can look at saltydogmarine. The sell a very reasonably priced kit with all the lines, but I think they also show the correct lengths.