Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 10:09 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 4:12 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

When I bought my boat it came with the block shown in the picture, already broken. Just a couple weekends ago another one of my blocks broke the same way. Common problem? Anyway to fix it?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 7:17 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Old Seaway blocks. Toss it and buy Harken.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 7:28 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

"Toss it and buy Harken" if... you have a money tree in the back yard and it is in full bloom right now. I rebuilt my "old Seaways" with about $10 dollars worth of stainless nuts and bolts and they work great. There are numerous places out there to find the process, including a search of this forum, to do the job. Unless, of course, you can throw money at this hobby and feel good about it, or you are trying to win the nationals, or just look really cool. Maybe I have been sailing on a small budget for too long. Just irks to have the first solution as "junk it and buy new". Hope I don't offend anyone. Especially those great people who support this site and sell sailing hardware. No offense intended. really..

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 4:53 am 
Hobie Approved Guru

mdgann wrote:
Maybe I have been sailing on a small budget for too long. Just irks to have the first solution as "junk it and buy new".

I think you have.

The Seaway blocks are probably 25+ years old. They weren't very good to begin with, even when they were new.

Here's a comparison:
Seaway blocks:

Harken blocks:

Which would you rather drive?

Harken blocks just work better - especially the lower block with the cleat (which this example is). If you haven't used them, you just don't know the difference. (Just like if you're still driving that '80 Pinto.)

You don't have to pay full retail for Harken equipment - eBay is your friend - http://www.ebay.com/itm/Harken-2613-Car ... b9&vxp=mtr

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 4:58 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

When I converted my old seaway from double-stack to single stack lower block, I had to drill out the rivets and replace with stainless steel bolts. If you do this conversion, you can put in a replacement pin at the same time. You even have a spare pin from the double block that sits on top of this block when converting to single stack.
viewtopic.php?p=38943&highlight=

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 5:30 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I say buy a set of harken blocks....

And I am the guy who would rather drive the Pinto.

:P

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 10:30 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

ronholm wrote:

Yeah.....but not that one....it doesn't even have any fake woodgrain on the side!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 1:56 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

There is another argument for replacing as well. I just purchased a '72 with what looks like original rigging. It has been in Hawaii all its life so exposed to salt. Despite the years and the salt everything looked pretty good when I inspected it for cracks etc. The first time I rigged it in the yard I cracked a bow tang and a shroud adjuster. I didn't even really tension anything, just stood the mast up. So I replace all the shrouds, forestay, adjusters, running rigging etc. and took it out last weekend. After about 1/2 hour I had cracked the main bow shackle at the mast, broken the jib halyard shackle and the metal cable inside the jib failed.

I'm starting to understand that stainless parts that have been exposed to salt for a long time can have hidden damage and that sometime they even can be corroded on the inside but not the outside. I'm at the point where I am replacing all stainless hardware either with new or with used parts which have been used in fresh water.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 4:00 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

rattle 'n hum wrote:
ronholm wrote:

Yeah.....but not that one....it doesn't even have any fake woodgrain on the side!

:mrgreen:

One of those new 300+ hp ford v6 engines in a woodgrain pinto wagon... Some subtle box flaring and big ole fat tires...

Wait.. wrong forum...

I'll just leave this...

Oh.. and get the harken blocks.. I have never regreted updating stuff on the boat...

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 8:28 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Gave up my VW bug for a Pinto of the same orange with white vinyl roof (I know you meant well Pop :P ). So... good analogy.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 8:50 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

WOW, nice Hobie 16. See any of you guys at Juana's good times regatta this weekend??!!

Tim

Memphis, TN fleet 134
Hobie 20! G-Cat5.0 and 2 Hobie 14's
Photobucket now wants $100 to post pics on forums......... pass.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 8:23 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Thanks everyone. The boat is old (mixmatch of 81 and 89 parts), not race condition and just a fun weekend boat. Hoping to get out on the water for as cheap as possible for now.

mdgann wrote:
"Toss it and buy Harken" if... you have a money tree in the back yard and it is in full bloom right now. I rebuilt my "old Seaways" with about $10 dollars worth of stainless nuts and bolts and they work great. There are numerous places out there to find the process, including a search of this forum, to do the job. Unless, of course, you can throw money at this hobby and feel good about it, or you are trying to win the nationals, or just look really cool. Maybe I have been sailing on a small budget for too long. Just irks to have the first solution as "junk it and buy new". Hope I don't offend anyone. Especially those great people who support this site and sell sailing hardware. No offense intended. really..

Thanks

56kz2slow wrote:
When I converted my old seaway from double-stack to single stack lower block, I had to drill out the rivets and replace with stainless steel bolts. If you do this conversion, you can put in a replacement pin at the same time. You even have a spare pin from the double block that sits on top of this block when converting to single stack.
viewtopic.php?p=38943&highlight=

Thank you very much. I've never seen that before. I will take a look and try this first. Should help since I was using the 2 upper blocks (old style with the 2 boom tangs) on a new boom with just 1 tang.Made for some interesting twists and tangles. Since I have 2 broken sets of Seaways I assume I can make something good out of this.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 5:11 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

i have pics of the conversion if you need it.

1983 Hobie 16 Cat fever #55697
2008 Laser Radial/4.7 #190471
S.S.S.
S.Y.S.P

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 12:05 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

optikid wrote:
i have pics of the conversion if you need it.

Send em over!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 2:09 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

When you drill out the Seaways and start to put them back together, you can also make a low profile (well, compared to the original) triple. Need 6 original seaways for this, though. No, it's not a Harken, but really haven't noticed them, which tells me they work well enough (which is more than I can say for the old Seaway jib cleats :-(