Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:14 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 2:42 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I have noticed that the upper bead on my main halyard is within the mast while the lower one is outside.
Which is correct?
Should I pop the upper one out or pop the lower one in?
Might this be why raising the sail all the way is quite difficult?
Thanks!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 11:17 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

I had the same question in my mind, and then realized it doesn't make much difference. When you're done fully raising the sail, the beads will actually go over the top and start down the other side. The first bead is for a reefed sail and the second one is for normal hoisting. Both are designed to hook on the front side of the sail and anchor it in place.

Going up or down they don't do much of anything. I've found that taking the sail down they can sometimes hook the top of the slot on the back side of the mast as they go into the track. Annoying but some up and down action will eventually get them settled.

It's probably better when they're in the track raising and lowering the sail, but it doesn't seem to make much difference.

Lubricating the sail where it goes into the track helps with hoisting. Last few feet are going to be difficult no matter what you do, as you've got a lot of friction from all the sail in the slot. It does help to experiment a bit with just the line and no sail. Those last few feet are a bit tricky and getting the knack of hanging the bead on the hook is hard on the eyes to see what's happening. Once you get the knack down, it's easy, but the first few times are a bit baffling.

Take a look at http://www.hobiecat.com/support/article ... ard-locks/

Also there is a video starring Matt Miller. See http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1VeBZOCJCoY

Best of luck,

Jim Clark-Dawe

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 3:11 pm 
Site Admin

Only older Hobie 14s or 16s with wire halyards have this issue. There are two beads on the old 16 wire. One for full hoist and one for the reefing point.

Beads belong outside the track. Just keep a little tension on the halyard while you lower the sail.

Worst is with one in and the other out, they cause a ton of drag and grind on the track. This would make hoisting a sail VERY difficult.

If you get one stuck inside the track. Tie the end of the halyard to the shackle and hoist like a flag halyard till both beads go up and out of the track up top. Bring back down (with a little tension on the halyard to keep the beads outside the track).

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)