Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:34 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 2:14 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Well after 6 months - I'm not far off finishing the restoration of the Hobie 16. As far as I can tell it's a 1979 vintage with Tequila sunrise sailset and a blue hull.

New Hull colour is white. For pics here's the link:
https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.447287948651304.100606.100001103097305&type=1&l=90676cf680

Would be interested in any feedback on the work done.
:)

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 2:31 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Really great work Mikeoz - just in time to enjoy for your summer :)
    So, is the new coat a gel coat or paint? How did you apply it?
    I can see some glass work was done from the photos... what were the other major repairs?
    Is that another Cat under the tarp out back?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 6:28 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanks. The major repair work was on the starboard transom with a bit of angle grinder surgery involved to remove rotten plywood and a corroded aluminium plate. It was corroded so much that I couldnt get the bolts for the rudder fittings off - so out came the angle grinder. I havent used gelcoat only fibreglass resin with a top coat of high gloss marine enamel - applied by a spray gun to get the even finish. other small scratches filled in and additional glass on the hull bottoms. The tramp was replaced with a new one, new blocks, new sheets all round, mast was bent - which has been straightened (although there's still a slight bend in it). Still yet to buy a new trap harness - but almost there. Oh and the trailer was given a refurbishment with new bushes, hitch, paintwork etc.

I have another boat in the wings but it's a smaller de-havilland dove for my son - not much work needed on that one - just a new coat of paint.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 8:58 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

nice work! i am also in the throws of restoring my '79 H16. Did you have soft spot issues, and if so, how bad? One of my hulls is good, the other has "issues." Also, what kind of paint did you use? As I bought the boat and trailer for a total of US$20, I am restoring on the super cheap and will most use Rustoleum oil based enamel. Not the best, but quite usable from what I hear and will work ok for the fresh water around northern California.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 2:07 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I think I was lucky - as I didnt find any soft spots. The paint I used was an enamel made by Norglass, http://www.norglass.com.au/ the paint cost me about $300 including the undercoat/printer and thinners for spraying. I've still got enough left to do my other boat as well.

I've sourced most of my replacement parts, such as the tramp, a few blocks etc from e-bay, and the local hardware store (Bunnings) is good for the rest - ropes etc. The trailer was the first thing I did and hopefully it should be registered on Monday - then the cat can go back on the trailer for the finishing touches.

Good luck with your restoration - make sure you take pics as you go - its always good to see the before and after. Cheers from Australia! :D