Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 7:28 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Stays
PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 8:51 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

How often should the 3 stays be changed? My Hobie is a 1988, not much use last 15 years by the previous owner. I have sailed for years and the last Hobie I sailed was over 30 years ago, so I am sorry for the first of many stupid questions.

Post subject: Re: Stays
PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 4:50 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

My 1983 side stays failed (twice) only after I abused them by leaving my Hobie 16 connected to a buoy for too many hours. The first time I attributed it to their age. The second time I called the dealer who sold me the replacement set. He asked if I ever left my hobie bobbing in the water, which I admitted to doing. He explained that they will sometimes break when they are accidentally kinked or experience some abrasion, but will almost always break after hours and hours of getting jerked every few seconds from the motion of waves. He then sent me a replacement side stay free of charge. (Saltydogmarine) Nice guy. That was six years ago. Never had another break.

I'm not going to tell you that metal fatigue is not possible. It's just not a high probability for what we are doing. What I can say is that on each occasion I lost a stay, having my mast suddenly come lose was not a violent event. As it fell, it caught air and slowly fell away from me and my passenge(s). I would actually describe it as "fluttering down" rather than anything else.

So go sail and run it hard. If it does happen, make sure you have a paddle twined in your lacing. :D

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 4:34 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

The shrouds are fairly flexible, and can stand a huge amount of abuse.

The most frequent culprit is the anchor pin, the threaded pin that goes through the lip of the hull into a rod. The top part connects to a twist, then a 10 hole adjuster. The Anchor pins should be properly set, do a search on the Forum.

If you sail hard, and especially if you sail in salt water, those pins should be renewed every year.

Every year, in spring and fall, go over every inch of wire on the Hobie - check for rust stains, bending, kinks, and other signs of possible weakness. Rust can develop under the plastic covers. Replace sooner rather than later. Use Hobie parts, the quality is unsurpassed.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 9:44 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

General suggestion is to replace your staining rigging every 5 years, but it depends... I've replaced all my wires after I've bought my H17, just to be on the safe side.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 10:13 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

John Lunn wrote:
The most frequent culprit is the anchor pin, the threaded pin that goes through the lip of the hull into a rod. The top part connects to a twist, then a 10 hole adjuster. The Anchor pins should be properly set, do a search on the Forum.

If you sail hard, and especially if you sail in salt water, those pins should be renewed every year.

I've never heard anyone suggest that the anchor pins need to replaced yearly, especially on the Hobie 16. Orient them properly and inspect them regularly, but if you replace them every year, you're throwing away a lot of money.

sm

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 12:48 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Steve: I think we can agree that Hobie sailors are notoriously 'cheap', and it's easy to understand why someone might not want to spend 2 x $26 plus tax a year on anchor pins. I myself am hesitant to spend the $120 for new anchor and clevis pins.

My existing pins must be 10 years old, HOWEVER, I sail in fresh water and my pins are 'correctly' orientated, and I don't 'bounce' the boat around. I was suggesting (acting out of an over-abundance of caution) that more frequently is better than less frequently. If you've ever been involved in a dis-masting...

Once a sailor has researched the Forum, or has learnt from knowledgeable folks like yourself, and knows how to 'set' anchor pins, agreed 100% that all one needs to do is a good inspection, say once a month.

At my old sailing club, the Hobie's we used for training were not handled gently....nor were they inspected regularly, which lead to many maintenance issues. Thank goodness, we caught anchor pin problems early...especially bent pins. Bent and cracked pins are potential for disaster.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 1:41 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

So whats the proper way to "set" these pins?