Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Apr 09, 2024 11:07 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 5:27 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Yes, I just bought a hobie cat and am trying to rig it for the first time without knowing anything except for what I can find on the Internet. It's a 1985. My girlfriend and I have managed to raise the main sail, but we are having an issue with getting the gooseneck into the mast sleeve--is it possible that the mast is raised too high? The gooseneck doesn't seem to fit into the sleeve and I can't pull the mast down to get it properly into the sleave. Also, in general I can't figure out how to lower the mast. Everywhere online it shows how to raise it, I think it's locked into position now, but I don't know how to lower it. Please help! Thanks!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 4:34 pm 
Site Admin

Mast vs Sail? I think you are trying to lower the sail?

To release... fully release the downhaul and outhaul. Partially feed the sail up the luff track. Hoist with the halyard to the top till it stops, hold... pull the halyard line forward 3-4 feet away from the mast, ease the halyard to lower the sail.

Read the Sail hoist FAQ for more:http://www.hobiecat.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=371

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 5:53 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

It's hard to know for sure from your description, but the small bead in the halyard can catch going down at either the top point or the reef point on the prong. The beads can also sometimes catch going into the mast track. The bead sometimes is undecided as to whether go into the track or outside. Raise and lower a few inches a couple of times and it should clear.

Ultimate approach if the halyard is stuck and you can't figure anything else out is find a location where you can tip the boat onto dry land. You can also do this in shallow water. Grab either the side stay or the trap wire and pull the boat over. Make sure you're doing this at a location where your sail can't get ripped. Fix the problem and right the boat. Beats the hell out of climbing the mast.

There's a two-part video by Matt Miller on rigging a Hobie 16. Well worth the time spent watching them several times. Taking the mast down is simply the reverse of putting it up. If you have to, list the steps involved in putting the mast up, then go through the list backwards.

Best of luck,

Jim Clark-Dawe

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 9:04 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Hi AC, keep asking your questions here. Also hook up with locals if you can they are happy to help. Assuming you're in division 2 check out these to hook up:
http://www.hobiedivision2.com/
And
viewforum.php?f=35

Here's the video Jim recommends http://youtu.be/jxctIJVOAd0

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 11:04 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

ArizonaCat wrote:
is it possible that the mast is raised too high?

My vote -- not possible! :mrgreen:

Unless you've invented a special device to do so, there is a hard limit how high you step your mast. Or you mean the sail was raised too high?

Pictures?