Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 12:08 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 10:24 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

At the risk of offending I need a bit more advice please as I need the repairs done this week:

1 Should I use thick epoxy (if it exists) or polyester resin with thickener?

2. Should I use 1 inch fibreglass tape to brush the epoxy or resin on to - that means the epoxy or resin can't be too thick otherwise it may not soak the tape enough.

3. A friend is insisting that adding the tape is better than just thick epoxy and then light/runny epoxy injected into the tight spaces/cracks at each end.

4. He also suggests grinding out ALL the old epoxy even though it's pretty solid apart from a little flaky stuff - taking both sides of the seam back to their original base before inserting the tape between.

I've searched this site (Hull/Deck Seam Repair) and found a few results and there's been no mention of fibreglass tape - just thickened epoxy and clamps and I wonder if that's the best method.

It's a clean separation from the sidestay to the bow with no damage to the fibreglass.

I'll add pics via a url then try to upload directly. Any suggestions greatly appreciated. Thanks, J http://www.johnahern.net/Hobie2.html

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 9:25 am 
Hobie Approved Guru

1. Use epoxy for its superior adhesive abilities and strength. Thicken to a peanut butter consistency with colloidal silica (WEST 406).

2. There is no need to use fiberglass tape.

3. You should try to clean out any broken up hull/deck adhesive, but it's not necessary to remove it all.

Force the epoxy into the crack with a putty knife or plastic scraper along its entire length. Clamp together and clean off the excess. Give it at least a few days to cure hard (epoxy takes a while to develop its full strength).