Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:50 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 9:19 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Trap lines for your crew or guest would be nice. For example, on our little lake we never get a long enough run or steady enough winds for us both to trap out, but the crew member often does.

Since I like to trap out and I'm more agile, I let my 200lb son in law take the helm and I (150 - but 180lbs in this video) - trap out and run the jib.

Check out what happens when we're ready for our first run and I set the jib. This was first run of the season - water about 34 degree's - both of us a little fearful of tipping this early in season.

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=144 ... =3&theater

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 10:54 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

just hit you up on Facebook.

34degree water, no thanks.

Harrison

Last edited by sxrracer on Mon Mar 11, 2013 2:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 1:23 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

fun video, I also like the other two sailing videos you have.
I do have a guy who is good that is going to teach me to trap out. We will be installing my trap wires this Friday!!
The thing is the lake i sail is usually very light wind. Two weekends ago it was 5mph on shore and this past Sat. it was at best 3mph on shore, sure it is a bit more out on the lake but not much more. The main reason I bought the Hobie was because I was tierd of my other boats that just would not go with that low of wind. At least the hobie was still fun at 5mph. Actually it was even fun on sat at 3mph, but that was mainly because my son was with me. I probably would not have sailed much if it was just me at that wind level...

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 8:22 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Actually the 34 degree - that was my first hobie. I had traped out on a friend boat back in the 70's when I was in H.S. (40 years ago!)

This was my first time on my new boat. This boat was 1000.00 on craigs list - was in far worse shape than I expected... leaving... he said what would it take to pull it out of here. I got it and the trailer for 450.00. Later found it had a softspot on hull. Still we've used it for 3 years. I have the stuff to repair it - just keep putting it off as I have two other solid boats.

So that was my first trap out in 40 years. You don't need to learn it - you just need enough wind to counter balance you and do it. UNLESS you are the pilot - then you need to learn it! with STEADY WINDS. We can't do that on our lake... but I'm moving 2 of my 3 hobies to my son and daughters new home on large twice the size of ours. (soon as weather allows)

PLEASE EVERYONE HERE - FRIEND ME on facebook. Easier to share and view others photos there. I setup a forum too - but facebook is easier.

(34 degree) I've been scuba diving in the spring in Lake Superior in water colder than that. In the right gear - no problem.

HOBIES ARE FUN SLOW! - we lay on them like sun bathing. My son in law takes one and I take one and it's REALLY FUN TO RACE... barely moving - maximizing the slightest breath of air... sometimes using the rudders back and forth to shark tail out of a dead spot. It can be REALLY fun as it's like a race in slow motion.