Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:29 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 7:16 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hey guys, I just purchased a 2001 hobie 16 and had a few questions about some things I've noticed.. On the right rear Rudder mount I notice the rudder assembly are rubbing through the clear coat and fiberglass.. It looks like there are small stress lines where the rudder pine terms the hull mounts.. Is this a serious issue and can it be fixed before rubbing through? Second, after my first sail this weekend I noticed the screw sets that attach bridle/forestay wires to the front of the hulls are very loose with some play.. Should I loctite these after screwing g the down tight? Also should I put Teflon spacers between them and the hulls so they don't rub thoroughly the fiberglass? Thank you for any responses and please keep in mind that I am very new to this sport so maybe I'm just babying the boat to much haha

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 9:31 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Check your mounts, pins, and castings for excessive wear, Not sure how 2001 boat is setup compared to my 70's boat, but I've replaced pins and ended up drilling out my castings and gudgeons (boat rudder mounts) and installed plastic inserts to take up the slop, works real well for me. Pins tend to wear out over time and use. depending on material they are made from.
Pictures of that, posted on here, tell it all.

Bow tangs you want tight, but not so tight they can't move alittle bit. Tighten when mast is up, Stainless steel washer under the stainless steel plastic inserted lock nut would work better than teflon washer in my personal opinion. Tighten the nuts up, if they loosen up again to much, from use, replace them. You can use loctite if you want, but I personally would'nt, just as alast resort.
Always use stainless steal hardware, all the more when it comes into contact with aluiminum.

79 H16 #46803

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 8:44 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thank you very much for your response!! I tightened when mast was up and everything g is good now