Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:17 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 8:50 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hello. I live on Lake Lanier, Ga and am looking to hire someone for hobie lessons on sailing and rigging me new boat. Will pay 50/hour or whatever you feel is reasonable..

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 9:41 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

If you don't get any bites for lessons, you can always just learn your self.

I bought my first Hobie 16 about 3 months ago. I have had some prior sailing experience with a 14ft mono hull that we have been sailing for about a year. I bought the Hobie because I wanted something faster and that i could take to the beach with me. we haven't had a weekend that we have gotten off of it all winter.

I don't know what your sailing experience is, but i learned from lots of online videos and just getting out on the water. As for rigging instruction look at this video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jxctIJVOAd0
and to get you started sailing look here
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PFliNR3wW_w

If its your first time going out sailing, find a day with about 10 mph of wind. I sail on Lay lake Alabama. I found it very hard to sail in light wind because once you start to get close to the bank the wind shifts direction. With a good constant wind, it will be much easier to get a hang of it.

The hardest thing about the hobie 16 is tacking up wind. just making the actual turn. She likes to get stuck straight into the wind. we have started using the jib to back wind the jib and it helps the front of the boat swing around.

we finally got some big wind (17-20mph) on the lake recently and got some video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sObWAfhCtmI

have fun!
Stewart

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 11:14 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

It is considered bad form to help a new sailer and charge money. Most hobie sailors find pleasure in helping others in the Hobie way of life.
Former Hobie Admiral Gary

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 11:35 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

gary eudy wrote:
It is considered bad form to help a new sailer and charge money.

There is a difference between "helping" someone and giving them lessons - the OP is asking for lessons.

I agree that if you're just looking for a few pointers or even a little help with putting your boat together, most Hobie sailors are more than willing to go out of their way to help free of charge.

However, if you're looking for someone to take you through a full lesson which should include classroom/fundamental principles of sailing, full component and rigging explanation, fundamentals of safety/rules of the road, and several hours of dedicated and organized on the water time, then you should certainly expect to pay for this service (as the OP clearly does).

sm

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 12:07 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

you also might want to check out the spring fever regatta at lake hartwell GA, going there and talking to people is always very helpful, and even racing in it can be a great classroom.

http://www.twinhulls.com/springfever2013/index.html

I just got into Hobie16 sailing about 2years ago and first, I wish I had found someone to even pay and give them lessons. I was willing to take Rick White's seminar which used to be a weeklong course in the keys, but he retired as soon as I got into sailing (figures), so I bought the DVD which helped out.

Second, by going to regatta's i have learned the most, and learned fast. I can honestly say that they (Hobie16 sailors) have always been great and helpful accross the board. This includes especially the top national sailors, which have have been great at the Regattas i've gone to. I know a couple of them will be at Lake Hartwell, so it would be worth the drive up there.