Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:56 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 5:01 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

What can I expect to be the biggest differences in performance? I would like to stay on my 18 but it wont be happening this year.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 5:47 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I used to have a H18 Mag for a long time but never raced with it. I have a 16 now. These are the big differences...

#1 - Tacking - it's WAY harder to tack a H16. It takes a lot of practice to do it fast.

#2 - Pointing - most anything will out point a 16. The guys who can do it well on a 16 have a big advantage.

#3 - Stability - The H16 is much less stable than the 18. Far harder to control in high wind

#4 - No furling Jib - Not much race impact, but dumping the Jib can be a big help sometimes (see #3)

#5 - Pitch Pole - Related to #3 -It's far easier to perform gymnastic maneuvers on the H16. I'm fairly certain you can flip this boat in any direction. The same stunts can be done on an 18 but you have to work much harder at it.

#6 - You can almost always find other 16s to race against and even get a class start. Hard to do with an 18 these days.

#7 - You don't have to worry about putting the boards up and down all the time however, you will miss them dearly. : )

#8 - No Wings! But you can't race w/those anyway.

The 16 is a great boat and a great racing class but it's a little more of a change that I expected coming from the 18.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 7:26 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

16 to 18 easy.
18 to 16 little harder.
16 is a Sports Car feel.18 is more like a Cadalac

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 6:31 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Thanks for the responses.
I was the only 18 at our club last year. The others were 20s and 16s. I wanted to move up to the 20s but I'm getting a 16 handed to me for free, so I can't argue that. like I said I wish I could race my 18 but its just getting worn out. I am keeping it on the beach at the lake though, so I will have it to go cruising around slowly with the wife. 8)