Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 3:38 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 2:40 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I'm wondering what should be the mast rake setting for the newest boats, i'm concerned that I am running too much. The amount of rake being run seems to increase over the years, and by the two posts below it was 10-16 and then 16 and above, and now.......

I am running 18-22 on my mast rake in order to get two blocked. Went out yesterday in 13-15 mph winds and had 22 clicks on the halyard and really had to pull on the sheet to get two blocked. Boat felt good, neutral-slight weather helm on the rudders. I'm also in the third hole from the top on the shroud adjuster. I'm measuring with the Jib halyard set and the Main un-sheeted and the downhaul loose.

viewtopic.php?f=14&t=10085&hilit=mast+rake

viewtopic.php?f=14&t=10574&hilit=mast+rake

Feedback appreciated, I'm getting into more racing and am trying to get my set-up right.

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 4:57 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I think measuring the Rake by using the Halyard is over rated.To much differences in boats too rely on that reading.
Also think you can drive yourself crazy with the tuning aspect of a boat like the 16.
As long as you are close (sounds like you are) then it all comes down to boat handling ,tactics and strategy.
Best thing is get out with another boat, someone of equal or better boat speed and experiment with your settings.
Lots of good information in the previous threads ,but as Matt B. said everybody sails there boats with slightly different set up.All depends if your a footer or pointer (btw both work).

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 10:52 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

According to the gurus at MWE, you're setting sounds good. Supposedly, it makes the sweet spot smaller, but is the thing to do once you figure all that out. I ran less (aft) rake on my '98, but it seems that more works better on my newer ('08) boat/sails. I expect I'll cheat it forward a little when sailing with heavy crew and/or light air. I believe that Madge is right for most of us mere mortals.....not uber significant if your at least close.