Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Mon Apr 15, 2024 8:30 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 104 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 10:07 am 
Hobie Approved Guru

optikid wrote:
What is the benefit of straight arms
For one, they don't have to be bent, nor do they have to be aligned as critically to the castings (benefits to Hobie in construction).

The purpose of the bent arms was to raise the tiller crossbar above the rear crossbeam when the rudders are up so you can lay the tiller extension on the trampoline. However, that also means the arms are higher when locked down, which can (will) interfere with the boom if you carry a lot of mast rake.

On boats with straight tiller arms, you cannot lay the tiller extension on the trampoline when the rudders are up, since the tiller crossbar is below the top of the rear crossbeam. Typically, people angle the tiller extension back on one side to store it, or just take it off.

Look at how close the tiller crossbar is to the boom, even with straight tiller arms:

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 12:20 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

jtbros wrote:
Huh? I'm gonna take my time to pick one out if that's what you're saying...

The 2008 was sold yesterday so now no chance of getting that even though now my budget has grown to fit it probably.

Just for the heck of it how much is it for a new race ready Hobie on average with a trailer, cat trax, and harnesses?

And if anyone knows of newer race ready ones for sale by them still let me know I'm all ears.

Approx $11,000.00

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 12:30 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

So for a 2008 would $8000 be a fair price?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 1:08 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

sxrracer wrote:
Approx $11,000.00

With $1500~2300 trailer, $500 Cat Trax and a few hundred in harnesses? I thought a new boat was over $10k by itself.

'00 H16 #104691
'78 H16 #32692 ex-rental [gone]
Old Holsclaw trailer
My Hobie 16 pages

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 1:20 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

jtbros wrote:
Huh? I'm gonna take my time to pick one out if that's what you're saying...

The 2008 was sold yesterday so now no chance of getting that even though now my budget has grown to fit it probably.

Just for the heck of it how much is it for a new race ready Hobie on average with a trailer, cat trax, and harnesses?

And if anyone knows of newer race ready ones for sale by them still let me know I'm all ears.

there is a 2010 near me
http://fortmyers.craigslist.org/chl/bod/3832797442.html
key largo fl

1983 Hobie 16 Cat fever #55697
2008 Laser Radial/4.7 #190471
S.S.S.
S.Y.S.P

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 2:19 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Thanks for the find. After calling him he said it'd be a couple grand to have it shipped and also $1000 for a trailer. So that's saving me about let's say $1000 maybe?
Is it just me or are most of the newer boats for sale located in California and Florida? I'm kinda wishing I found the pressure drop boat that was for sale earlier...

Well I found one located in Iowa. For that price and shipping for about $1k is it worth it? http://www.sailboatlistings.com/view/36091

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 8:16 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Thoughts on it?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 9:23 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

road trip

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 10:40 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Only 1,200 miles. Worth it

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 11:36 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Do some sailing while you are down there! :D

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 12:24 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

There's also this one viewtopic.php?t=47633
But it'd be about $3500 to ship it.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 12:31 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I cant see it costing that much...but maybe I am wrong.
Uship.com gets recommended a lot for shipping big stuff.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 1:02 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

This was for a different boat located somewhere else in CA for $7000 and is a 2008 Hobie I just threw out a guess on how much it'd cost. Read how much they basically bash uShip

"Hi James,

Thank you for your request to quote the transport of your Holbie 16 Catamaran sailboat on trailer 16L.

We can offer the rate of $3,600 to transport this from Santa Cruz, CA to Old Westbury, NY. This price includes all fuel surcharges, mileage, tax, insurance, etc.

We are fully insured, DOT authorized, and members of the Better Business Bureau.

What sets us apart from other companies in this industry? We treat your item like it is our own. We are experienced haulers, specializing in boats and travel trailers. All of our drivers stop every 200 miles to check on the load, to insure everything is secure and going well. We offer the best customer service in this industry and our prices are very competitive.

You may have gotten some really low bids off of a site called Uship. Please be advised, Uship is a huge haven for illegal haulers, unethical drivers, and fraud. Uship will basically allow ANYONE with a truck, van, or SUV to bid and haul any item. Most of the haulers from that site have NO insurance, NO DOT authority, and NO experience. Many of them have invalid, expired, or even another company's DOT # listed in their profile in order look legal. They know most people will not actual check out the information. People are scammed everyday from that site, consider yourself warned.

We have a variety of boat trailers that can accommodate all size boats, sailboats, and yachts. We also have a tow away division for boats on their own trailers, travel trailers, and fifth wheel, etc.

We guarantee that the service, professionalism, and over all experience that you'll have with our company will be hands down to others.

If you wish to use our services please call or email us to request a shipping agreement. We normally can pickup tow away items fairly quickly. Your quote number is 15390-VQ.

For your convenience we do accept all major credit cards.

If you have any questions at all, you may reach me at the number below or you can respond to this email.

We'd love to add you to our list of happy customers!

Sincerely,

Interstate Haulers, LLC"

Also if I get a decent quote for shipping is the boat in Iowa a good deal and pretty much race ready?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 3:46 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Ya I have not used uship. Almost got a tractor sent from Iowa to Oregon through it once.
Its setup like ebay with user feedback ratings/reviews and you do not have to accept a shipping bid if they can not supply insurance/license etc...that I do know.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 4:18 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Oh that's some good info so it says on the quotes which companies are DOT approved and have licenses also?
I got a average shipping cost from yachtsforsale.com that said about $1000 for the boat from Iowa to Long Island

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 104 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next