Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 2:09 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 9:07 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I have some sailing time on a Hobie 16 but not for many years. Acquired a tired, older Hobie 16 for my daughter and niece who both shun my mono hulls in favor of the Hobie 16. I am rebuilding the parts, repairing the hulls, and am seeking help on two issues if you can:
1. The tramp frame is riveted as near as I can tell. I cannot budge it from the posts in the hulls. How much can I pull, tug hammer, etc to get the frame off the posts, or any suggestion?
2. I am looking for a used trailer or plans to make a simple trailer used only for transport 500 feet from my driveway to the launch ramp and winter storage. Any hint where I can go to find something?
Many thanks to all who can offer advice.

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 5:06 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

For the trailer, try contacting your local sailing club and see if they have any hanging around. the owner might want to part with it. craigslist and beachcats might be a possibility.

Good luck,
Ted

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2013 12:37 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Regarding the tramp frame being bonded? Especially in older boats that got a little bit loose from use, some users opted to bond the whole frame together with epoxy, and then place new rivets. (The stiffer the boat, the faster it sails). So you may find the corner frames epoxied to the cross frames, maybe to the side rails, and potentially to the hull posts too. If they are not sloppy, bent, or broken, why remove?

If you are still intent on disassembly, look for the bolts and obvious rivets which can be removed or drilled out. But you typically need one very serious "rivet gun" (the handles may be 2 ft long) to properly set new rivets later.

While I'm not "The expert".. if it's bonded, its most likely epoxy. And most epoxies will soften with heat. But you are also talking about a LARGE heat-sink. If the frame is removable from the hulls, you might be able to disassemble and clean up, and re-assemble. But if the frames are bonded to the hull posts.. you'll likely have a tough job! I'm sure you don't want to get the post too hot. So you may have a real challenge on your hands! Best Wishes.

Jerry
H16 Tequila Sunrise Lake Monroe Indiana

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2013 4:36 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

If the frame is epoxied to thy pylons( what you call the posts), it is actually not that hard to remove with a blowtorch on the pylons and a hammer. I removed the old hulls when i had to replace my delaminated hulls with newer ones after i epoxied everything together. Why do you need to remove the frame from the hulls? i have managed all of my repairs including delamination right under the crossbars and wet sanding and polishing.