Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:13 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2013 12:32 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I just got an old hobie 16(1978) that I am cleaning up and getting back into sailing condition. Never sailed a cat before, but I only plan to go out in light winds until i get use to it. I have not yet rigged nor tried to right the hobie so this might be a dumb question, but I am wondering if a rope tied to the trapeze handle or perhaps to the mast stay point could be used to right the boat. It seems the higher up the mast the righting line is would give more leverage, but I am not sure if this is true or even possible.

Let me know what you all think.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 12:42 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I wouldn't attach anything to the trapeze handle since they're usually just plastic. An extra rope on the trapeze also has real potential for getting in the way when you want to go out on the wire.

I don't think there's any advantage to making a direct connection from righting line to mast. A righting line that drapes over the hull should give you the same leverage since the hull is connected to the shroud, which is connected to the mast, so the forces are always going to be transferred up there anyway.

A basic righting line (the big blue and white type that runs around the four trampoline posts) does just fine, or if you want to get fancy (which is what I did) you can look into a Hawaiian righting system. You can buy purpose built ones from a retailer, or you can put them together yourself.

Have fun with the new cat!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 4:28 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

ebs675 wrote:
Let me know what you all think.

Been discussed countless times here. It will not make a difference. Tie the righting line to the dolphin striker, throw it over the hull and lean back. It does not matter if you tie the righting line to the shroud, to the trap handle, to the mast head, or to the mast base, the amount of leverage you create is exactly the same. All that matters is the position of your center of gravity, not where you connect the righting line to the boat.

sm

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 5:19 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanks Guys. Right after I posted this it hit me that by pulling on the hulls with a righting line you are also pulling on the stays further up the mast...... I posted this before I thought it through all the way so I apologize for that. l am just trying to find a simple way to right it solo even in lighter or varying winds. I am only 165 pounds and will be sailing either solo or with a girl. I know there are a ton of posts about solo righting, and I will continue reading through those. I kind of like the righting bar methods and may look into that more.

I have a mast head float so that may give me peace of mind the first time I practice righting it. I think I may take a friend and flip it on purpose in good conditions, so I am prepared.

I am excited to take her out for the first time.

-E

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 2:12 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

The best way to figure it out is to jump in. I have spent many an hour with the sails in the water, mostly cause my kids thought it was fun sliding or jumping off the high hull. Figure where the fulcrum point is and capsizing will become a minor inconvenience rather than major catastrophe.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 5:09 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

I am of slight build 5'10 and way only 11 stone (155 pounds) so I am certain I will have trouble righting.
Came across this on youtube which grabbed my attention, righting bar
[youtube]http://youtu.be/jTRS5pTZGV4[/youtube]
The other option for me at least will be a writing bucket.

Hobie 16 1996 (my latest)

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 6:17 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

That's Dave Adams in the video and we sail Lake Arther in PA. He takes all the newbees out to show them how easy that bar is to use. It can be made from a 2x4 also and works great. If you go for the water bag, get the 200lb bag from Murrays, the 65lb bag will not be enough, I'm 215lbs and it wont help. This weekend I tipped my new boat for the first time (3 years) First I tried my Hawaiian line, No. Then the Hobie line that came with it, NO. Then the 65lb bag, Not. Finely a couple of kids came out to help. I'm sitting here this morning, do I make and carry the bar or order the big bag. The bag is more compact to carry but making a bar is cheaper.

79' H16 Green Lightning

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 4:48 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

I was thinking of making a righting bar out of an aluminum scaffold pole by cutting and welding two one foot end pieces to make a |----| shape or maybe a |---- shape. Then wrap some 10-15mm shock cord around the tramp post that could be stretched over the hull and hooked to the pole for assisting in righting. The scaffold pole I would coat in some rubber matting / foam or similar so as to offer grip as well as protection on the lower hull.
Oh and make watertight so it may float.

Still need to test all the above of course! :D

-SRG

Hobie 16 1996 (my latest)