Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 9:14 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 3:51 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I recently got a 1978 H16. The sails and hardware are in great shape for its age. The sails are still crisp even so someone took good care of them. I have a couple questions though.

1. It seems the inside of one hull may be infested with ants. Can they damage the hull? What is a good way to get ride of them? I am not sure if bug spray will damage the fiberglass or not.

2. The side and bottoms of the hulls are very solid. However, the top of the deck, up towards the front of the bow has a few soft spots. The common epoxy repairs were done on the deck right in front of the trampoline, but no repairs have been done on the deck at the front of the bows. Will a few soft spots up front be of concern even though the sides and bottom are solid? There are not any soft spots at all in the side of the hulls so I am hoping the few spots on top will not pose a huge problem. Fixing up these old boats is rewarding, but I am ready to get her out on the water, hopefully without any further work.

Let me know what you think?

Thanks!!!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 4:51 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Not sure on the ants...thats a new one on me.
I would however fix the soft spots before sailing. It is an easy afternoon project.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 5:32 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Ditto on the soft spots. Repair them before you sail and before they grow, get worse, and become much more difficult to repair. Any soft spot is a structural issue and should be considered as potentially compromising the strength of the hull.

As far as the ants, i don't think they would do any damage to the fiberglass, nor do I think the chemicals used to kill them will harm the hull. I would bomb them by spraying a bunch of raid in the hull either through the drain plug or a port hole. Then seal up the hull for a day or so and then flush out the dead ants by tipping up the bows and spraying water in the hull for a few minutes. Then air out the hull to dry the water and get the raid fumes out.

sm

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 5:40 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

i have similar problem with ants, however they are in the sidebars and not the hulls. i think i read somewhere that they eat the silicone. As for the soft spots, they can be fixed however once they start showing up they keep showing up.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 10:15 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

same here.. My Hobie sat in a field for a while before I bought it, took a while but finally got all the Ants out.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2018 9:52 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hello guys,

Likewise on the weaknesses. Repair them before your cruise and before they develop, deteriorate, and turn out to be significantly more hard to repair. Any weakness is a basic issue and ought to be considered as conceivably bargaining the quality of the frame.

To the extent the ants, I don't figure they would do any harm to the fiberglass, nor do I think the synthetic compounds used to murder them will hurt the body. I would bomb them by showering a group of assault in the structure either through the deplete plug or a port gap. At that point seal up the body for multi-day or somewhere in the vicinity and after that flush out the dead ants by tipping up the bows and showering water in the body for a couple of minutes. At that point let some circulation into the structure to dry the water and get the strike exhaust out.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2018 7:23 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I had a junk hull that I left on the ground, and the ants brought a lot of dirt into the hull thru the drain plug. When I went to cut the hull up, I found the pile of dirt in there. So you may have to flush out more than just the ants.

84 yellow hulls hobie 16 Yellow Nationals
plus a few extras that I'm restoring

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2018 8:43 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I can help with the ants. I use this product, you can get it at Lowes or Home Depot, works great!!! The ants eat this stuff and feed all in the nest and then they die, no more ants. Just place some small drops where you see a few ants or see a trail, they will find the stuff pretty quick. Trust me, it works!!! ImageImage

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2018 9:41 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Just a heads up on insecticides and water quality.

Many pesticides and insecticides are very harmful to fish and other aquatic life. Wasp killer is particularly bad, but I suspect many of the others aren't great. Since you are likely going to drain your hulls near a lake at some point, any poison left over in the hulls may drain into the lake.

My recommendations:
1) Do not use any whose warning labels include statements like: "do not use during rain... do not water the treated area to the point of run off"
2) Rinse very thoroughly

Also, srm was spot on with the soft spots. If you don't both gel coating the poka-dots where the resin was injected you can do this repair in a couple hours or less. Add 1 day of waiting and 1 hr of work if you need to cosmetically cover your repairs.

Joe

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2018 1:19 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Concerning the ants. If you use the product that I posted, all it takes is a few drops around where you see the ants, that's it. The ants will find it, eat it and feed it to the others in the nest, then they all die. It is not a spray.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 7:31 am 
Site Rank - Captain

HobieMarty wrote:
Concerning the ants. If you use the product that I posted, all it takes is a few drops around where you see the ants, that's it. The ants will find it, eat it and feed it to the others in the nest, then they all die. It is not a spray.

Furthermore the active ingredient in this is Boric Acid completely benign in the environment when dispersed.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 12:54 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I bought mine out of a field and the trampoline didn’t have the bolts when I noticed it the ants had eaten the foam I wold definitely check to see how much foam is left in the hulls.