Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:06 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Long Distance Trailering
PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2010 6:49 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I am thinking about trailering my H16 ~700 miles round trip to the outer banks this summer.

I picked up the trailer when I bought the boat and it wasn't in the greatest shape and required a fair amount of work to get it on the road legally and safely.

I re-wired it, rebuilt the rollers, bearings, etc., and actually modified it to pull double duty as a small utility trailer here in the burbs. The point being, I'm pretty handy and I'm comfortable with the majority if not all of the routine maintenance.

I have only used it locally and have never taken a trailer that far before. Can anyone provide a checklist or guidance on how to prep it and what to be mindful of on a long(er) trip? Best practices for tying it down, should I remove the aftermarket mesh tramp, re-pack the bearings while away for the return trip, that kind of thing. Anything is helpful.

Thanks in advance!

If it ain't a blowin', I ain't a goin'

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2010 8:20 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I can't give you much advice about the trailer, but I do know that there is a regatta in Duck, NC on the Outer Banks in June (12-13). If you are close by around that time you should join us. Very inexpensive regatta.

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2010 8:50 am 
Site Rank - Captain

..I would definitely have a spare rim/tire ( if not two ) and a couple pieces of wood/boards to set a jack on top of for stability on the side of the road if you happen to need to change a tire ( short piece of 8x10 or similar ) ( plus a good hydraulic jack )
I think you should repack the bearings or if you can install "buddy bearings" which will provide flexible pressure to the grease/hub. I'd also flag the mess out of the mast with orange tape etc .. Lots of idiots don't see it sticking back so far and will run right up on it. Stopping every 40 or so miles would be a good idea to check the position of the boat and strapping. If you love your hobie like I love mine, you won't mind a bit heh heh ..
Other than that, I'd drive a little slower since the trailer is pretty used, but with these preparations, you should be safe and stable for the trek.

Good Luck !! Cheers !!

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2010 9:23 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Hey thanks a lot guys!

My trip isn't until late September so I'll miss the regatta, bummer. :( But I know the wind blows well there that time of year (Avon) so it should be good sailing.

I will definitely repack the bearings as it's been ~1yr since the last time, and I do have bearing buddies. And I have one spare tire.

As for the tie down, I've created what I think (?) is the preferred system. I tied a short piece of 5/8" rope with bowlines on each end that attach to each cornet post. They are long enough for the lower knot to just drape over the inside edge of the hull topsides, and then I connect those with ratcheting tiedowns to oversize eye screws mounted firmly to the trailer cross bars. It seems very solid and I haven't had any issues, yet. :wink:

Thanks for recommending the 2x, have plenty laying around so I'll just throw one in. And for the flag, I hadn't thought of that.

Again, thanks for the input :!:

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2010 9:28 am 
Site Rank - Captain

OH, and also, if you are using ratchet straps... I would recommend releasing the pressure on the straps if the boat will be sitting in one place for a while on the trailer... I've heard horror stories about the straps shrinking in the heat and biting (crushing) into the fiberglass if they are wrapped around the hulls .... no thanks ! heh heh

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2010 9:33 am 
Hobie Approved Guru

Jman6631 wrote:
I will definitely repack the bearings as it's been ~1yr since the last time, and I do have bearing buddies. And I have one spare tire.

If you repacked the bearings only a year ago, pull off the dust caps and check the grease. If it's mocha colored (water), then repack. Otherwise, you should be good to go.

Jman6631 wrote:
As for the tie down, I've created what I think (?) is the preferred system. I tied a short piece of 5/8" rope with bowlines on each end that attach to each cornet post. They are long enough for the lower knot to just drape over the inside edge of the hull topsides, and then I connect those with ratcheting tiedowns to oversize eye screws mounted firmly to the trailer cross bars. It seems very solid and I haven't had any issues, yet. :wink:

Almost the perfect system - go around the sidebars and over top of the corner castings with your rope, instead of going around the pylons. The object is to have nothing touching the fiberglass.

Chafe is your worst enemy on long trips. A fluttering strap or cover can wear through fiberglass over a 700 mile trip. If your straps flutter, put a full twist in them before hooking them up.

The boat will get dirty on the road. Especially if it rains. I use a cover for my mast, but only because it's a pain to clean properly, and I can leave the rigging on without it getting dirty.

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2010 9:45 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Lots of good advice already.

I agree, if you already packed the bearings recently, there's no need to do it again. Unless you dunk the trailer in water or drive thru sand, the grease should be fine for a while.

Check your tires. Make sure the tire pressure is correct and that you're not exceeding the weight rating (same goes for the axle). Also check for signs of dry-rot. Changing trailer tires on the side of the road is a major PITA and dangerous. Much easier to change them out in your driveway at home before they blow. But, if you do end up having a blowout, you'll certainly want to be sure you have the right size lug wrench. It's very possible that the one used for your car tires won't fit- so check. I'd also recommend using 12" wheels rather than the 8" wheels found on many trailers.

Give the trailer frame a quick visual inspection for any signs of cracking, particularly at welds and joints.

Last, make sure you mast, rudders, and shrouds are well secured and padded where necessary. Things have a tendency to move around and loosen up, even on short trips.

sm

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2010 12:06 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Wow, fantastic everyone, thanks for taking the time. I am compiling a check list with all this input. Very, very helpful, so thanks!

The trailer has not seen water or sand, and it has 1 y.o. 12" wheels so I'm good to go there. Good point on the lug wrench, I'll verify that.

Hadn't thought about covering the mast but it does make sense so I'll think about that.

Again, kudoz to everyone for all the good input. I am in your debt.

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2010 12:45 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I trailer my H16 every couple of months in the summer for several round trips of 1200km all i did was replace the regular dust caps with nippled ones and i use a grease gun everytime i head out and shoot some extra grease into the bearings, some people may think its overkill but i have already lost a wheel on the trailer, a 50 cent shot of grease will save you alot of time and money every time you go on long trips.

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2010 2:06 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Does anyone have pictures of their Hobie 16 on the trailer and where/what they use to tie it down?

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2010 7:05 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Sorry buddy, I won't have any until late in the summer. But, when I do trailer her up I'll snap some pix and post them.

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2010 8:15 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Rules 1 and 2....Keep wheel bearings packed with grease and set of extras just in case along with spare tire.

1976 H16 27640
1985 H16 89112

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2010 3:15 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Do a search for trailering and you will come up with lots of info and some pictures too. I put some one here about a year ago along with several others.

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2010 7:28 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Thanks again everyone!

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2010 7:25 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Hey MBounds (or anyone else!), I haven't been able to find a mast cover. Where would you recommend I look?

Thanks in advance!