Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:20 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 8:30 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Hello Folks,

I am considering making a homemade jib furler for my H16 partly due to the fact i solo but mostly for a project.
Found a number of sites with regards to homemade jib furlers I include a couple of links below:

http://navigatorjoel.blogspot.com.au/2010/12/how-to-build-roller-furler-for-under-40.html
http://www.duckworksmagazine.com/12/howto/furler/

I understand that the stock jib would need the battens removed for obvious reasons, so as to allow the jib to roll up etc, but I have also seen mentioned the need to employ a sail maker to cut the jib to shape that would be adequate for use.

What exactly does this mean, what shape and changes are made to the stock jib and are they absolutely necessary?

I was also thinking of sourcing an old jib are even small mainsail say from a dinghy and fashion it in someway to be of use as opposed to using my original jib thus keeping it stock and available at least until after testing etc. (Hobie Jibs and mainsails are a little harder to come by here in the UK).

Look forward to your thoughts and suggestions?

Regards,
SRG

Hobie 16 1996 (my latest)

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 9:41 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

The roach (sail material along the trailing edge of the sail which extends beyond an imaginary line drawn between the head and the clew) would need to be reduced/eliminated. Without the battens installed, this area of the sail will flap and flutter excessively. Rig up the sail without the battens and you will see the problem clearly. So yes, you would need to have the sail altered if you are going to run without battens.

Using a sail (mainsail??) from another boat for your jib. Sounds like a bad idea to me. It would take a tremendous amount of work just to get it to fit and it probably still won't work right, especially a mainsail. A sail which is designed to be hoisted on a mast is shaped much differently than one that is designed to be hoisted on a head stay.

Building your own furler drum? Again, this sounds like a lot of work for something that probably won't work nearly as well as the Hobie furler. I'd pick a used one up on ebay or one of the classified sites before trying to build my own.

sm

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 10:30 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Paragon..... here is a pic of the difference in the jib size...

Used my full sized jib... without problems for a season before i took the step to cut it down...

It flapped quite a bit... it might drive you nuts... but you can use it for a while to make sure you like the furler.. and the down grade in power... not having the batons

I love being able to down power when i am coming back to the beach... The furler is one of the best things i have done to make it easier for me to sail solo...

Waldorf

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2014 4:11 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Firstly sorry for the delay in replying
Thanks very much for your replies and help it very much appreciated.

Hobie 16 1996 (my latest)

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 7:08 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

paragon1970 wrote:
Hello Folks,

I am considering making a homemade jib furler for my H16 partly due to the fact i solo but mostly for a project.
Found a number of sites with regards to homemade jib furlers I include a couple of links below:

http://navigatorjoel.blogspot.com.au/2010/12/how-to-build-roller-furler-for-under-40.html
http://www.duckworksmagazine.com/12/howto/furler/

I understand that the stock jib would need the battens removed for obvious reasons, so as to allow the jib to roll up etc, but I have also seen mentioned the need to employ a sail maker to cut the jib to shape that would be adequate for use.

What exactly does this mean, what shape and changes are made to the stock jib and are they absolutely necessary?

I was also thinking of sourcing an old jib are even small mainsail say from a dinghy and fashion it in someway to be of use as opposed to using my original jib thus keeping it stock and available at least until after testing etc. (Hobie Jibs and mainsails are a little harder to come by here in the UK).

Look forward to your thoughts and suggestions?

Regards,
SRG

I solo 90% of the time. Have yet to find a time when I wish the jib was not there........ It is almost a set and forget type thing, yes, you can tune the boat more for performance, but if your out playing around, just set and and forget it.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2014 11:55 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Paragon...

I use my furler when coming in to the beach... when i am solo.. and the winds are up...
you can see a bit of flapping after i cut it down...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5k-nYWRz3Ag

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2016 2:45 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Homemade roller furler that works, i use it on my hobie 21sc gennaker. Made out of petzl swivel $50, aluminum, tig welded and two bolts. Swivel rated to 9000lbs or thereabouts. Sealed ball bearings. Money saved $250. No modifications to swivel. Can take apart and reuse or replace parts. Will try to update on longevity later. Fun project.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2016 12:58 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Wow, that looks nice. Not sure I understand the reasons though. To depower I let the sheets go and it just luffs for the minute and a half while I am approaching the shore. I have never sailed a Hobie with a spinnaker, but I guess it would be convenient to have the jib out of the way for that. I solo almost exclusively and I am not sure I would want the complication of a furler to add more lines to track and control. Of course I am pretty simple minded so am easily overwhelmed by "all those ropes". Those are the disadvantages that I see. What are the advantages? Thanks.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 9:37 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

hobiesportcruiser wrote:
Homemade roller furler that works, i use it on my hobie 21sc gennaker. Made out of petzl swivel $50, aluminum, tig welded and two bolts. Swivel rated to 9000lbs or thereabouts. Sealed ball bearings. Money saved $250. No modifications to swivel. Can take apart and reuse or replace parts. Will try to update on longevity later. Fun project.

Can you repost this photo? Very interested.