Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:55 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 3:20 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

aussiehobie16 wrote:
how do i make the pictures appear on here as photos and not as links :?:

[img]http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e362/petercorrell/100_1910_zpsb2d b0cc3.jpg [/ img]

copy the link to the side with the img code

1983 Hobie 16 Cat fever #55697
2008 Laser Radial/4.7 #190471
S.S.S.
S.Y.S.P

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 8:05 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I was a bit bored and decided to search for my boat to see if it showed up, and stumbled across this post I owned hull # 382, sail #431 until 1995, when I sold it. It was a very fast and strong boat.

It had been painted and was white with red decks, I stripped all the paint and brought it back to it's original colors.
Back in the late 70's when the wife and I were into it, there was a Division 10 out of MI, and we were consistently 2nd and 3rd. That inspired us to move to CA and get in some ocean racing and compete on a different level. Unfortunately young children came along and that solved it. Still miss sailing that boat would love to locate it again.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 11:22 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Where at in Michigan? Were the hulls a burnt orange color? It's hard to tell from the picture. My neighbor on Harsens Island has an old one rotting in the weeds that is VERY old also. I will try to get hull numbers off of it when I get a chance. I had my eye on the old mast as a spare for a long time, until a tree fell on it this past summer.

Someone disassembled it in a hurry and cut the front 2" off each hull with a saw to remove the front stays. I don't know if you could EVER repair something like that. Otherwise, they seem fairly solid. I once toyed with the idea of getting it back on the water.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 12:24 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e362/ ... b33ebd.jpg[img]

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 1:02 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

ASDASC wrote:
Where at in Michigan? Were the hulls a burnt orange color? It's hard to tell from the picture. My neighbor on Harsens Island has an old one rotting in the weeds that is VERY old also. I will try to get hull numbers off of it when I get a chance. I had my eye on the old mast as a spare for a long time, until a tree fell on it this past summer.

Someone disassembled it in a hurry and cut the front 2" off each hull with a saw to remove the front stays. I don't know if you could EVER repair something like that. Otherwise, they seem fairly solid. I once toyed with the idea of getting it back on the water.

Union Lake, West Bloomfield but the boat was sold out here in CA. We raced 16's, along with Lightning's on Union Lake for many years.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 1:04 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Wow that is in incredible shape!!!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 3:57 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Grzldvt wrote:
Wow that is in incredible shape!!!

Thanks i was very surprised when i first saw the condition it was in , Had no doubts that his story about not using it for thirty odd years was true seemed like an honest person and had no reason to lie as he just wanted the space and only charged me a couple of hundred for the boat. I think i got a bargain. It seems to be solid as a rock, don't know if they used more fibreglass in the first boats? It has no sign of soft spots anywhere.i plan on changing all the ropes etc over winter and hitting the hulls with some polish she's going to look like brand new :D , is there any other maintenance i should be looking at while doing the overhaul ?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 9:51 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

My boat was definitely stronger. You could walk on my decks and they wouldn't even buckle. I noticed in the later boats you would sink a bit. No idea if that changed over the years or not.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 8:37 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Great thread.

I'll try to find it, but somewhere around here, I have sail number 27. I only kept the numbers. Cut them out from the sail.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 3:36 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

aussiehobie16 wrote:
sxrracer wrote:
Imagethis one might have you beat!!!! This is a friends. Mine is the youngster.

thats awesome do you know what the serial number is? from what I understand sail numbers are not a reliable way of dating the age of a hobie.

I found "2012" stamped on the front left pylon.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 5:54 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

optikid wrote:
aussiehobie16 wrote:
how do i make the pictures appear on here as photos and not as links :?:

[img]http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e362/petercorrell/100_1910_zpsb2d b0cc3.jpg [/ img]

copy the link to the side with the img code

Wow, that old girl is in remarkably good shape. Love the two-tone blue and white hulls (unlike mine yours don't appear to be faded). She's a beauty.

Until recently I had one of the oldest Lasers on the block, a 1973 boat that was one of the first 3300 produced. A lime green and cream boat with mahagony dagger and rudder. It was my fathers boat and it sat unused in his barn for 30 years.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2014 12:51 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

BrettWoods wrote:
Great thread.

I'll try to find it, but somewhere around here, I have sail number 27. I only kept the numbers. Cut them out from the sail.

Wow 27, that is incredible!!!!

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2014 7:53 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Brings back memories!Image I had owned this one for 20 years. The title said 1969, but hull number said a '71.

[color=#4000FF]1974 Hobie 16 (Keepin 4 my sons)

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2014 7:26 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Very cool!

Sent from my LG-LS970 using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 6:57 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hello, I am new to the forum. Just picked up an old boat as well for my son, his first. The Hull #is 631. I know from reading sail #'s can't be used as telltale for age. His sail # is 709. I was intrigued by the three digit sail. I haven't seen one before. My last two sails were 5 digits. I will go out on a limb and say that obviously my hull is not the oldest. I do have a very old sail. The sail has gone to the stitcher for minor repairs. We will report on performance in a while as we have some minor touchups before launching. I will sail the hull is rock solid, perhaps they don't make em like they used to.