Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 6:56 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2014 2:56 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Hi Folks,

I have two masts one that is circa early 1980's and the other is later, I guess around the 90's. Both non comp.
The differences between the two mast is as follows:

80's mast:
    Smaller Mast Tang H14 type (already discussed in another thread)
    Smaller mainsail luff feeder groove. (Difficult to raise main especially when almost at top as luff jams)
    Has jib cheek block on side of mast.
    Does not have a hole drilled in mast base casting for step link kit.

90's mast:
    Larger multi-hole mast tang.
    Longer mainsail luff feeder groove (I have not tested yet but expect it to be easier to feed mainsail)
    Missing jib cheek block on side of mast (Is this the norm or should I have one by default?)
    Does not have a hole in mast base casting for step link kit.

Thanks
SRG

Hobie 16 1996 (my latest)

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2014 3:21 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

I've used this thread posted in 2010 to resolve some of the changes Hobie has made over the years but nothing here specific to your question.
http://www.hobiecat.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=32437

Are there any holes in the mast to suggest at least ONE cheekblock was installed?
I know the old setup has at least one and the new Aussie halyard system requires two.

HTH

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2014 5:26 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Thanks for your reply Matt15

The old master 80's mast has one cheekblock on the side for the jib tension but 90's mast does not and I can't see any holes or possible repair work were I would expect the cheekblock to be. So its as if it has never had one which I find a bit strange.

I inherited the 90's mast so have no idea of its past history. But am thinking of using it to replace my original one or at least to test whether I am able to raise the main easier. Also I have a problem with the masthead wheel pulley on the older mast as it has deteriorated over the years and occasionally the main halyard steel cable jumps off the wheel when lowing the mast, if one is not careful and jams in-between the masthead wheel and its casting requiring the boat to be tipped on its side or the mast lowered with the sail attached, either way not an ideal situation but amusing to onlookers, hearing the imprecations, execrations, cursing, blasphemy, profanity, cussing emanating from my mouth! :roll: I should get a new masthead wheel!

Thanks Again,
SRG

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2014 9:08 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I am confused, as it seems that the 90's mast should have the comp tip for sure. That change was made in 1985, I think. I have a 1979 mast and it has the mast tang with additional holes, the hole for the mast step link and the cheek block for the jib. I have 1969 mast that doesn't have the extra hole in the mast tang or the hole for the mast step link.

Could it be that both of yours are older than you think.

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2014 10:59 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

ASDASC wrote:
Could it be that both of yours are older than you think.

His location says he's from London, so likely it is a HCE boat and a lot of things are probably different. You're right though, in the US, the mast would have had a comptip for sure by 1987.

sm

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2014 3:34 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Yes I am located in London and as such things are rather different over here, I especially noticed this on my first and only visit to the USA on behalf work to Seattle a couple of years.
We have smaller cars, more expensive fuel, smaller houses, get ripped off left right and center (rip off Britain), taxed through the nose, only bad guys carry guns and as yet I have never seen a comptip mast! :-)

I guess it wasn't such a big deal about the risk of people being electrocuted, maybe due to the fact we don't have the necessary mechanism to litigate or it could be that us Brits have a higher tolerance and affinity for electrocution, maybe why we don't have Old Sparky too? Hahaha ;-)

But that mast I am certain is of 90's era and the earlier one I am sure is original and according to the faded plaque on the rear cross beam of the 16 states 1983 / 84 cant quite remember.

BTW, HCE? At a guess does that stand for Hobie Center Europe?

All the best,
SRG

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2014 3:52 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

From what I know about Brits and wiring, namely some guy named Lucas, maybe they figured there was no electrical systems which would stay working long enough for anyone to ever worry about getting electrocuted... :lol: :lol:

But no worries.. you aren't missing out on anything by not having the stupid comptip.