Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:06 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2014 1:41 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I decided to try a baby bob on my 16 in Hilo as I solo sail mostly and the seas can get big quick once you leave the bay. I could not find a way to enclosed a picture but I have a of the typical comp mast top and the baby bob mount I have is 2.25 wide and the flat sides are 2" high with a hole at each corner. I saw the instruction drawing that came up showing drilling a new hole in the mount that must be about 4" wide at a location that does not correspond to the mount I have, so I gather I dont have the right mount which should be wider.
I can make what ever I need but would like to know the recommended method before I start drilling my main sail halyard pulley housing. These are really made of thin aluminum but I would guess the mount screws replace the rivets the pulleys spin on to hold the baby bob above the mast. It just seems to be such a flimsy place to mount such a big object. I would think the mount should attach to the top mast casting which the halyard pullies housing is riveted to. I'm inclined to make a couple angle bracets and bolt them to the mount I have and the flat top of the mast casting. Any help would be appreciated.
Cheers, Steve

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2014 11:09 am 
Site Admin

The bracket on the baby bob is designed for the Wave, so needs an extra hole though the plate and then the H16 mast head. One hole is in an existing location through the halyard sheave. The second shoots between the sheaves.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2014 12:00 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

http://static.hobiecat.com/digital_assets/30116.pdf

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2014 10:10 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Mahalo guys, for the info. So I guess I was right that the bracket I have (2.25') is shorter with four holes vs the current longer one for the wave with two holes. who knows how old this baby bob is but the bracket is wide enough to secure it using one screw through the front sheave (pulley) and another between the two sheaves. I will attach it using those two screws.
Cheers, Steve