Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:25 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2014 12:38 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I've started to repair the transoms on my 16 and replace the old style gudgeons with the newer ones. I had asked for advice on this forum and others and I appreciate everyone's advice on how to repair them. Long story short, my gudgeons failed while under sail during Ya Gotta Regatta down in Myrtle Beach. Some of the ss screws sheared off inside the starboard transom. I'm very inexperienced with fiberglass repair and was initially told to drill out the old ss screws, since they were likely seized into the aluminum plate (which they were). I didn't use the right tool for the job (a left-handed drill bit) and ended up having a really difficult time drilling out the steel. I buggered up a lot of the surrounding glass and aluminum. I also sheared off some of the screw heads on the other transom and basically doubled the work I am having to do. After looking into several options (install ports and thru-bolt, install helicoils, fill and drill, etc.) and talking with many folks about it I have decided to go the most drastic route and remove everything down to the aluminum plate and build it all back up. I just couldn't stand the thought of installing ports, especially when that area of the boat is often underwater when resting on the water and in between races. So far I have gotten the aluminum plate out of the port hull. I should be getting new aluminum plates in tomorrow. I figured I would post some pics of my progress for feedback from you guys as well as to show the anatomy of the 16 transom. I'll continue to post my progress. Wish me luck. I'm storing the photos here:

http://s1319.photobucket.com/user/jsaut ... t=2&page=1

Feel free to tell me what you think or offer any advice.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 7:04 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

That's pretty radical. Not sure you will ever get back the strength you need. After the first couple bolts sheared off I think I would have just offset the gudgeons 1/4 inch and re-drilled and tapped. How are you planning on keeping the plate aligned and secure while rebuilding the transoms? Hate to discourage you but you may have destroyed your hulls.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 8:01 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Quote:
I've started to repair the transoms on my 16 and replace the old style gudgeons with the newer ones. I had asked for advice on this forum and others and I appreciate everyone's advice on how to repair them. Long story short, my gudgeons failed while under sail during Ya Gotta Regatta down in Myrtle Beach. Some of the ss screws sheared off inside the starboard transom. I'm very inexperienced with fiberglass repair and was initially told to drill out the old ss screws, since they were likely seized into the aluminum plate (which they were). I didn't use the right tool for the job (a left-handed drill bit) and ended up having a really difficult time drilling out the steel. I buggered up a lot of the surrounding glass and aluminum. I also sheared off some of the screw heads on the other transom and basically doubled the work I am having to do. After looking into several options (install ports and thru-bolt, install helicoils, fill and drill, etc.) and talking with many folks about it I have decided to go the most drastic route and remove everything down to the aluminum plate and build it all back up. I just couldn't stand the thought of installing ports, especially when that area of the boat is often underwater when resting on the water and in between races. So far I have gotten the aluminum plate out of the port hull. I should be getting new aluminum plates in tomorrow. I figured I would post some pics of my progress for feedback from you guys as well as to show the anatomy of the 16 transom. I'll continue to post my progress. Wish me luck. I'm storing the photos here:

http://s1319.photobucket.com/user/jsaut ... t=2&page=1

Feel free to tell me what you think or offer any advice.
Posted: Wed Apr 02, 2014 11:38 am

Get off the internet fruit loop and get to work . You are just going to muddy the water with dumb responses like above.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 8:47 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Abb.... I would take a look at this post... you may have to cut inspection ports ... i have seen pics here of the repair but can't seem to find them now...

look at this post....

viewtopic.php?f=14&t=43099&p=180001&hilit=transom+fix#p180001

i would use epoxy for the repair... it is strong .. and you need this strength in the transom....