Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 9:37 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2014 1:06 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Hi Folks,
We will be visiting Lake Annecy France for holiday this year and will be trailering the H16.
The campsite that we are staying can only provide a bouy, they don't like or allow launching from the beach from what I gather. (My French is poor!)

The duration of stay will be approx two weeks.
I have read on the forum that mooring the H16 in this fashion is not recommended due wear and tear on the standing rigging.

But do you think doing so for a duration of two weeks would be ok?
Any other issues that you see should be taken into account?

Thanks,
SRG

Hobie 16 1996 (my latest)

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2014 2:17 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

I think mooring is generally not the best way to leave the boat! I think it'd probably be OK in a freshwater lake, but I'm guessing that there wouldn't be a great deal of wave action or boat wakes pitching the boat around. Where I'm located, we get both as well as squalls passing through. That, and in 2 weeks, you'd have marine growth on the hulls already! When you moor it, you'd probably also want to tighten up the rig- run a line from shroud to shroud under the tramp and pull it tight to take the slack out of the rigging- not so tight as to kink or deform the wires though! What I do is use a longer line with a looped end and tie off on itself.

Dave

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2014 12:28 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

How would you raise the main in the water? When I raise or lower mine I have to be standing well in front of the tramp to get the bead on the halyard over the pulley and in and out of its clip. It has occurred to me to address this...I don't think it would be too hard to design a some other mechanism for holding the sail up that could be released and engaged from the tramp. This would also allow for reefing or dropping the sail on the water. I wonder if it has already been done.

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2014 2:37 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

two weeks in the water is not certain death for a Hobie I would not do this when the area has large breakers however. The boat can be easily rigged and unrigged in shallow water without pulling boat onto the shore. I would tie the front bridle to the bouy with some nylon line and tie the back of the boat to a anchor and line. The campground probably does not like boats stored on the beach. A simple call from someone who speaks the language might help a lot
I have anchored my Hobie 21SE with a bouy and did not have any problems
Former Hobie Admiral Gary

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2014 5:11 am 
Hobie Approved Guru

KarlR wrote:
How would you raise the main in the water? When I raise or lower mine I have to be standing well in front of the tramp to get the bead on the halyard over the pulley and in and out of its clip. It has occurred to me to address this...I don't think it would be too hard to design a some other mechanism for holding the sail up that could be released and engaged from the tramp. This would also allow for reefing or dropping the sail on the water. I wonder if it has already been done.

It has been done. It's all a matter of technique. Racers will drop sails on the water to adjust batten tension, or fix a loose batten. Raising the sail again on the water isn't particularly hard if your equipment works the way is should (bolt rope lubed, etc.). If you need to get further out, just sit on the hull with your legs dangling in the water, facing aft.