Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:23 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2014 1:44 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

So I'm trying to buy my first sailboat, and I want it to be a H16. I know about soft spots and where to check for them. I've found what I think is a good deal on a boat. Everything is supposed to be newly replaced except the hulls, which are possibly early 1980's. The seller says no soft spots and that they run dry, but I'm hesitant to put down over $2K on a boat that old without asking the experts.

I'm something of a novice sailor, especially when it comes to cats. But I am excited to learn more. The boat will be trailered for probably 1 hr to 4 hrs one way to get to the water. Crew weight will probably be close to 400 lbs at times. I'm not going to be going crazy out on the water pushing it to the bleeding edge all the time, but I also don't want to be constantly afraid my leeward hull is going to explode either! I hope to race eventually if I can get good. If there are no soft spots at the time of sale, what are the chances they will develop soon thereafter?

Would anyone advise me to take the plunge on a boat this age as an enthusiastic first timer? Thanks a lot for the help in advance.

Bill

Last edited by tigerwreck on Mon Sep 15, 2014 7:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2014 4:01 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I replaced a set of 1981 (I think) hulls that were completely soft all over with a set of 1983 hulls, that are completely solid. I am not sure about the durability of the hulls I keep them covered and a fresh coat of wax on the to help protect from the sun. I have a crew of 400 lbs sometimes, the boat doesn't go very fast but we don't have any problems. I am not an expert, but this is my experience.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 11:15 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Without more detail I would strongly advise against this deal. That price is about double what an early 80s boat brings around here. Post details on the age/condition of the sails, tramp, lines, and rigging and you may get better advice. Also, if you post your location (or better yet, put it in your profile), you might get some invaluable, in person, experienced help.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 1:27 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Rattle 'n hum:

Sorry to lack specifics. I guess I'll go ahead and post the link.

http://orlando.craigslist.org/boa/4663719080.html

I figure there are $1500 in extras there that I would have to buy or go without. That leaves $1000 for the boat and trailer. ($2500 asking price)

I live in Baton Rouge, LA, but the boat is in Winter Park, FL.

Just didn't want anybody to steal it away if it's a good deal. I guess I'll take my chances. Thanks for the help!

Bill

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 1:55 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I agree, unless he can document a TON of new stuff, including sails, that is too much. I bought a 1979 complete, ready to sail,for $800. Everything was functional, but original.

(OK, I ended up paying him $850, but he had to deliver it 35 miles.)

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2014 11:12 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Sails may not be worn much, but definitely not new (2004-06, maybe). Tramp looks good, but hard to tell if it's factory. Hulls look good.....almost too good....if they've been painted, I'd be suspicious. It's too old to have adjustable rudder castings......jib system and rudders are nothing special. Even if it turned out to be in great shape otherwise, it would only be worth maybe $1500 around here. I certainly wouldn't chance a drive to Orlando. Good boats show up all the time from your area though the FL panhandle, and we're entering the buyers market part of the year. You should try to hook up with the Ocean Springs YC folks when you get a chance. Maybe offer to crew with someone at a regatta. They have several cat sailors from BR and NOLA.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2014 9:04 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

The sails are the same pattern as mine, with a number about 500 higher. I'd say that makes them 2000 or maybe 2001. I would be skeptical about the brand new mainsail bit until you could establish that it was somehow a new unused sail as of a year ago. Probably "new to me" is more like it.

Trailer looks nice from the little that I can see.

The harnesses and so forth are only worth it if they are what you would have bought anyway.

Aftermarket tramp AFAICT.

'00 H16 #104691
'78 H16 #32692 ex-rental [gone]
Old Holsclaw trailer
My Hobie 16 pages