Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 11:21 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 7:48 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Greetings Hobie forum!
First off I'd like to thank all the members who've contributed here, you guys and gals have quite a nice community going here. I've been scouring the forum, even used the search function! :shock:
Having fond memories of sailing Hobies in my youth (my how time sure does fly) and recently moving to the shores of Lake Isabella in the Sequoia's in southern California I've been keen to get back on the water. Lake Isabella is 17 square miles and more often than not the wind kicks up daily around noon, it's quite windy here almost all the time... with plenty of wind and being an active and quite adventurous guy I chose to get a Hobie, with a modest budget.

I picked up a 1985 H16 that had obviously been sitting inside for quite some time. I paid $600 to a guy selling it for a friend who moved to Montana. He didn't know anything about the boat and honestly, neither did I. However, after reading all the "should I buy this boat threads" I felt confident (with the help of a Kiwi lady friend with some solid large craft sailing experience) that I could make a blindly informed decision in a not so big purchase.
The boat was dirty, typical of anything that has been sitting in a dry location for years. The hulls appeared to be in good shape, no soft spots, no damage just a slight amount of markings on the bottom from the trailer. The mast and trampoline are in good shape, the sails looked like they hadn't been used much, excellent condition overall although he jib is missing 3 battons - replacements also on the way.
The trailer is solid with good tires, a spare and heck the lights even worked! After I put new bearings in it I won't think twice about trailering down to Baja to sail.
Some of the rigging wire ropes had kinks in it, the sheets and other ropes seemed just OK so I have all new rigging ordered and on the way.
A day of scrubbing, cleaning, lubricating, registering, more stickers and fees, etc. made the boat look much better and getting closer to being seaworthy.

We took the boat out after some how-to research, some youtube videos, etc two times so far, while waiting on new rigging... Just couldn't wait.
Anyways everything went fine, this isn't a horror story, but we did not use the jib either time. The maiden voyage was just a short 1 hour sail near sunset... in 15-20 mph winds. The second time was a full afternoon, starting with 10mph winds and building to 20 with gusts up to 25. Again, no jib.
Overall things went quite well considering it's been 30 years since I sailed, though the downwind runs got quite scary at times though. lol
The water in our lake is quite cold, and while I have righting lines and such I really didn't want anything more than some steady spray to help with the hot air temperature. I felt like I pushed the boat as far as I could while getting to know her and not capsizing.

Which brings me to my questions... I've read pages and pages of hull crack threads, but most of them seem to be more about major cracks, damage, rebuilding bottoms and so on.
My hulls now have cracks exclusively near the bow, all in front of the trampoline that weren't there when I bought the boat. There's no soft spots and no cracks in what seems to be more common areas, just the bow. I did end up somewhat gently on a sandy beach with some rocks imbedded, but didn't slam into anything. Today it was 110ºF outside with the boat kept covered, but this afternoon is when I really noticed the cracks and they seem to have gotten worse.
Here's a bunch of photos, hopefully all the helpful folks around here can help me move forward with this boat and give me some advice. I'm obviously feeling concerned and want to feel confident that the weakest link in the Hobie chain is just me. :lol:

Cheers!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 11:13 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

It looks like pretty typical gelcoat fracturing that you often see on older boats. I don't know specifically what causes them, but the gelcoat layer is not reinforced (no glass fibers), so it can fracture if flexed excessively. It's not something I would be overly concerned about at this point. Just keep an eye on them. As long as the hulls feel solid, I don't think it's really anything to lose sleep over.

sm

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 6:26 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Thank you for the reply srm, good to know that's it's more than likely just cosmetic. I will keep an eye on it and look forward to new rigging and getting out on the water!

Cheers

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 5:07 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Yes, it looks like stress cracks in the gel coat and not structural.
Nice looking boat by the way. Are you sure it's a 1985 model? I notice that the sail number is older than my 1984 model, so I just wondered.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 7:18 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

HobieMarty

I bought my '85 H-16 new and the sail number was 86430. I later bought a used sail with a number around 90xxx. Your sail number is newer than your '84 boat.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 8:21 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I see that. That is strange because the previous owner stated that the sails were original to the boat. Interesting.
I have read that sail numbers really don't necessarily coincide with year of make, but that does seem strange to me. Anyhoo...

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 9:21 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Based on the sail pattern, it appears to be a 1985 sail since it is a "85 Nationals White (Prism)".

I have a similar sail pattern "Blue Prism" (from 1987) with a sail number of 88863.

87 H14T
Tortola Sails: 115222
Blue Prism Sails: 88863
Clearwater, FL

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 12:34 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

HobieMarty wrote:
Yes, it looks like stress cracks in the gel coat and not structural.
Nice looking boat by the way. Are you sure it's a 1985 model? I notice that the sail number is older than my 1984 model, so I just wondered.

Thanks Marty!
The title says 1985 and like Tim said the sails looks just like the 85 Nationals White Prism, but who knows for sure.
I'm just happy to have what seems like a solid boat for a small investment to get back into the sport.

Does anyone know a place that sells the pin stripes for our boats? Mine is a faded peach color that's peeling and while just superficial it would look nice to have fresh graphics. I guess I could get some vinyl roll off amazon but thought I'd ask here first.
Hobie does not offer them from what my local dealer said.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 1:02 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

It's funny you ask, as I have seen these exact stripes on many things, including along the bottom of the doors on some cars of the 70's and 80's, and can't seem to find a source today. You can buy the individual stripes and put them on, but I am sure that when Hobie got them, they were together on a backer and all went on at once. If anyone can find a source of the triple stripe, please share!

Thanks!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 5:41 am 
Hobie Approved Guru

A while back, I changed the triple stripes on my '84 from yellow to teal (it was the '90s, OK?). I had a sign guy make them up. The material is relatively inexpensive (but you end up with enough to make about 12 sets of stripes).

And yes, they did come on a backer. They were very easy to apply - you can use the "shadow" of the old stripes as a guide to put the new ones on.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 7:16 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I ended up just ordering a 1/4" and 1" roll of vinyl tape from amazon and doing the stripes individually. Overall for $16 I'm happy with the results.

I have spent some time working on getting the rudders aligned, some new hardware and bushings installed since they had a lot of slop in them before and while not perfect (I still need new pins and mounting brackets) the difference in overall handling is amazing!
Things are coming together nicely with this boat, all new rigging and any other little parts that needed replacing have been done.

I've had a few more days sailing since I last posted and today was epic... 20-25 mph winds, 2-3' waves down one section of the lake and warm temps. Where I put in is blocked by the winds somewhat by the hills, though it does sometimes change direction by 180º. :shock:
We reefed the main, which I really liked in these winds, though we ended up breaking our capsize cherry today in a somewhat spectacular pitch-pole coming down into the wave trough. Ended up getting the boat up somewhat quickly only to have it flip over the other way, downwind.
Then it turtled.
I took a few minutes but we got it back on it's side and eventually upright.
About 5 minutes after we were moving again the lake patrol rescue boat pulled up, saying they had many calls about us.
Nice to know that help would come but a little embarrassing. The officers laughed and said it was no problem, sailboats are meant to tip over. haha
Besides them we were the only people on the lake.
Good times!

Can anyone share what kind of knot I should be using around the boom when reefing the sail or some sort of rigging diagram for the outhaul please?
I made it work but am certain it wasn't correct and can be better.
Also if I may, for my consistent windy conditions, would I be better off just running a reefed main and no jib? Besides speed how will the handling be effected with no jib?
Basically if anyone has any advice for a new guy learning in windy conditions it would be appreciated.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 10:09 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I don't know the answers to your questions but wanted to say that you're stripes look good!!!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 6:27 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Running without a jib will make the boat significantly harder to tack. It will also most likely cause an increase in weather helm (pull on the rudder).

sm

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 7:32 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

The knot used to reef the sail is called a "reef knot", otherwise known as a square knot. It shouldn't be tied tightly around the boom but should be tied well at either end of the boom. Tying too tightly in the middle of the sail can cause stresses that may rip the sail. I predict that before too long you won't bother to reef. In fact, after '85 the use of the comptip mast caused the elimination of reef points. I reefed my '85 a few times and eventually decided it wasn't worth doing. You obviously don't have a comptip mast or you wouldn't be able to reef. Hobie offered to retrofit it to the older boats. Just remember to check for overhead lines in launch areas if you step the mast on a trailer and then move to the launch ramp. When I received the notice from Hobie it included information that the comptip mast would reduce the cone of protection from lightning. I read once that the only thing more dangerous than a boat with a mast in lightning on the water is to be on a boat without a mast.