Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 6:07 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: new owner '83 Hobie 16
PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2015 6:35 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hello! Just bought my first ever sailboat. I can't lower the main sail. Can anyone offer help? Thx!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2015 7:44 pm 
Site Admin

Release the Downhaul. Pull on the main halyard hard straight in front of the mast.. Hold and step forward of the mast to the bridles... Release. Let the sail drop a foot or so before moving the halyard back to the mast.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2015 7:59 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

thanks, I believe that is exactly what i did, but the main sail never dropped. will try again in the morning! thx

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2015 5:44 am 
Site Rank - Captain

There's a tiny v-shaped metal tang or fork right at the top of the mast at the front, which catches onto a small bead that is crimped around the wire that's attached to the top of the main: this tang is the only thing that holds the main up. Loosen the rope that it attached to the end of this wire, so the rope is hanging free. Stand about 1 meter in front of the boat and pull the rope down (you'll feel the sail move up the mast), then move the rope forwards whilst still pulling down on the rope, so to get the bead out of the tang. Then let the rope out so the sail goes down: You may need to pull the sail down by hand if it is stuck.

Oh, and don't forget to loosen the downhaul / Cunningham first :lol: in fact, it is probably best to lift the boom completely out of the mast track.

When you put the main back up, do the reverse and make sure the bead goes back into the tang. Don't use the rope to hold the main up as you will stress your mast and the cleat.

There's a pic here http://www.hobiecat.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=31980 of the set-up but yours probably wont have the white braid around the wire