Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:22 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2006 1:11 pm 
Authorized Hobie Dealer

Location: 315 N. Hwy 79 Panama City Beach, FL 32413 850-235-2281
Matt is right, we will sell them for cost+ freight. Call you dealer and get it set up. The cut is simple, measure 1 cut twice....oh wait.....measure..measure...recalculate...then measure again then cut. You should be able to find a mast with a comptip already installed, try not to get one of the early upgrades I don't think they are very good, the current style upgrade is the same as new. Maybe you can fine someone with a comptip mast that sails for recreation only and convince them the all aluminum is more durable or something and do a swap!

http://www.sunjammers.com
www.facebook.com/sunjammers

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2006 1:49 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Look and ask around, I picked up a relatively cheap H16 with trashed hulls specifically for the comp-tip mast. I sold off the shippable parts on eBay to make some money back. Lots of time between now and next spring so happy hunting. :)

FYI, there is a "one time" exemption for racing without a comp-tip mast.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2006 5:36 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

That is very sound advice. I love the way the folks on this forum are so encouraging. It only makes me more interested in this great sport. I'm gonna be on the lookout for just such a deal, it is a long time until spring, unfortunately :cry: . The last cold front that swept through has cancelled any chance of one more sail. If any one by chance hears of a bargin, shoot me an e-mail.

[email protected]

I'm glad to know about the one-time rule. I'll be sure to put that to use at my first regatta. :D
James

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2006 11:00 am 
Site Rank - Captain

OK, so I'll keep an eye out... How big of a speed thing is it?

If anyone knows of any comptip rigs laying around in the Northeast (US... New york preferably) please shoot me an email. ballywho 1 at optonline.net

(no spaces and the at is an @ obviously... I don't want spambots on my email)

My boat's an 81 but almost never been sailed. Gorgeous condition. It should be stiff enough considering it' been sailed maaaaaaaaayyybe 15 times in it's life.

I figured SHBCC would have a pretty damn good 16 fleet, but the best way to learn is to get your ass handed to you.

I'm figuring we'll practice with our old stuff then put the new rudders/sails on for race days. That way our race gear should be good for at least 2 seasons.. at which point we'll be in college and unable to sail for the most part.

How much are new fiberglass rudders, and a new suit of sails? 2k sounds like a hell of a lot... Does hobie do the whole "sail with our sails or don't sail at all" thing? I've got a bunch of sailmaker friends and I could probably get a good suit made for me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2006 10:15 am 
Hobie Approved Guru

Quote:
My boat's an 81 but almost never been sailed. Gorgeous condition. It should be stiff enough considering it' been sailed maaaaaaaaayyybe 15 times in it's life.

Yeah, but it's still probably heavy. Remember the saying, "Beauty is only skin deep, but ugly is to the bone"? Same thing goes for stiffness and weight. You can fix a loose boat. You can't fix a heavy boat.

Quote:
That way our race gear should be good for at least 2 seasons.

With proper care, rudders will last indefintely. I've got a set of EPO's that are over 20 years old and still going strong.

Jibs will last (meaning "ultra-competitive") 2 - 3 years depending on how much use they get. They'll still be good for sailing, you just won't be able to point as high and/or the leech will start to flutter.

Mains last a long time - 6 years is not uncommon. Hobie 16 sails are not like monohull sails - the full battens keep the sail from flogging itself to death.

Quote:
How much are new fiberglass rudders, and a new suit of sails? 2k sounds like a hell of a lot... Does hobie do the whole "sail with our sails or don't sail at all" thing?

White fiberglass rudders - $220 a piece. (Carbon - $250 each)
Jib - $365 (white) $490 (colored)
Main - $752 (white) $871 (colored)

If you're going to run two sets of sails, you'll need two set of battens - it's a PITA to switch battens - add another $170 for main & jib battens.

You can sail with whatever sails you want. If you want to race, the Hobie Class Association requires Hobie Cat brand sails at sanctioned events. It's no different than any other one-design class that requires sailmakers to measure and pay royalties for the "button" that makes their sails class legal.

Hobie Cat brand sails are high quality and are made in the USA.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2006 1:28 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I was actually under the impression that the non-comptip was stiffer?

I don't ever plan on racing, so I haven't looked into doing the upgrade.. but is it anything other than a safety net for powerlines? Cause my mast gets put up in spring and taken down in the fall and it sits on the dock the rest of the time... Unless I feel like taking it to a different lake... but that hasn't happened yet.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2006 1:38 pm 
Hobie Approved Guru

The non-Comptip mast is stiffer and is marginally faster in certain conditions. The Comptip is easier to deal with in heavy air - it automatically dumps the top of the sail in a gust.

If you're leaving your mast up all season and not racing, I would not make the change. The Comptips do not like to be left in the sun for long periods of time.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2006 1:38 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Quote:
OK, so I'll keep an eye out... How big of a speed thing is it?

recreationally? It's not.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2006 7:56 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

MBounds wrote:
Quote:

Yeah, but it's still probably heavy. Remember the saying, "Beauty is only skin deep, but ugly is to the bone"? Same thing goes for stiffness and weight. You can fix a loose boat. You can't fix a heavy boat.

Quote:
That way our race gear should be good for at least 2 seasons.

With proper care, rudders will last indefintely. I've got a set of EPO's that are over 20 years old and still going strong.

Jibs will last (meaning "ultra-competitive") 2 - 3 years depending on how much use they get. They'll still be good for sailing, you just won't be able to point as high and/or the leech will start to flutter.

Mains last a long time - 6 years is not uncommon. Hobie 16 sails are not like monohull sails - the full battens keep the sail from flogging itself to death.

Quote:
How much are new fiberglass rudders, and a new suit of sails? 2k sounds like a hell of a lot... Does hobie do the whole "sail with our sails or don't sail at all" thing?

White fiberglass rudders - $220 a piece. (Carbon - $250 each)
Jib - $365 (white) $490 (colored)
Main - $752 (white) $871 (colored)

If you're going to run two sets of sails, you'll need two set of battens - it's a PITA to switch battens - add another $170 for main & jib battens.

You can sail with whatever sails you want. If you want to race, the Hobie Class Association requires Hobie Cat brand sails at sanctioned events. It's no different than any other one-design class that requires sailmakers to measure and pay royalties for the "button" that makes their sails class legal.

Hobie Cat brand sails are high quality and are made in the USA.

Holy fack... Oh well, I guess I should have seen it coming.

I don't really need too much work on gust response. I'm a skiffie first and foremost, so my reactions are pretty good. I'll see if they'll take pity on me and let me race with my ali. mast. Not like I'll get any performance gain since my boat will be 20lbs over-weight.

The mast will be up all season long, so it's probably a better idea anyway.

I already have a suit of practice sails with battens, so that's not a worry. I could actually probably race the main... I'll have to sail it hardcore to find out though.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2006 6:21 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

You can allways race open events. You might not be class legal, but I doubt anyone will protest you. This will give you a chance to find out if this is something you really want to do, and figure out what is going on, on the race course.

Then either buy a new boat, or a good used boat.

I went the brand new route, after donating a 1975 16 that my parents had for 30 years. The feel of the boat was so different I wouldn't even say learn to sail your current boat before upgrading. IT WAS THAT DIFFERENT!

The new boats are AWESOME and FAST!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 3:42 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

My Hobie fleet has some Hobie 16 comp tips avail at very reasonable prices. please contact me for details

[email protected]