Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:14 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2006 7:25 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

because that's what the wind is going to be tomorrow. it's going to be almost straight offshore, which the guy told me not too go out in (he said if anything goes wrong, you'll get blown out to sea instead of in to shore). still, i think i'm going to go out if the wind doesn't look too scary.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2006 8:39 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

That is pretty good wind. I don't exactly know how much that would be in knots, but I do know that it would be enough to get you up on a hull and perhaps over-powered. I don't know how much, or if at all, you practiced righting your boat today, but in those winds there is a good chance you might end up fliping the boat, probably from wanting to push her in the good winds. I also assume you haven't leak tested and/or sealed the mast, which could make you go turtle, (mast straight down) With the wind going offshore, they might not be the best idea.

I think that by tommorow you will probably be getting a hold of the same front that came through NC last night. With it came a shift to offshore winds. It is pretty brutal. It was kicking up really high, sparatic winds with bone-chilling cold temps, literally howling through the night. With the boat on its side, the wind could push it quickly out to sea, especially if you haven't become comfortable righting your boat. If you go out, I would take ALL PRECAUTIONS!!! But I would agree with the guy, wait for a break and the right conditions.

An inshore lake would be wicked!!!
James

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2006 9:16 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

On the Beaufort scale that is Force 4 winds. Ever look at the Portsmouth ratings for sail boats? They don't go past F5.

Please do us all a big favor and don't go. I know it is extremely painful to have a new boat (looks sharp, BTW) and not be able to sail it, but we want you around for when the weather calms down a bit. Our first outing in a big blow resulted in us needing assistance to right the boat. Even if you did practice righting already you MUST practice your recovery skills in big winds, with the wind blowing ONSHORE because it is different. You NEED to experience it first.

There my friend, you have three resounding NO's. :evil: (and I'm not going to say "please" or "sorry" or anything like that, don't do it...go to a basketball game or something)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2006 10:09 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

awww, basketball sucks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2006 1:15 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

It's 12.16 Knots. Here's a link for you.

http://www.csgnetwork.com/knotstatuekm2calc.html

Happy Sailing

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2006 1:43 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

1 knot (nautical mile per hour) = 1.15 mph

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2006 3:40 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Never knew 12 knots was enough to be considered heavy air...

Is this your first time sailing? If this your first dinghy? If you capsize, will this be your first time righting a (specifically a cat) boat?

If you answered yes to any of the above questions, wait for better conditions. If not, have a good time.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2006 4:30 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

yeah, i didn't even have time anyway. i only got three hours of sleep last night (up studying), then had to leave for tampa at 7am to take a final, got back to sarasota at 12 to tutor one of my students, back to venice at 1:30 to crash for a few hours, then over to the house of a friend to work in his yard. it's 6:30 now and i just finished.

i'm going out tomorrow, though, hell or high water.

but to answer the question, yeah, it's my first boat, and it would be my first time capsizing. not my first time sailing, though.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2006 4:50 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Your forecast is winds out of the East (straight offshore) again.

Is your crew an experienced swimmer?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2006 5:14 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I would still advise against it, especially with forecast winds blowing off shore. If you must go out, which again I do not encourage, be sure to tell someone where you plan on launching/sailing. If you have any type of water proof bag Take Your Cell Phone. Don't forget your pfd. But even if the winds are great, and you are successful, I still think it is a bad idea. You will have time to sail. Clean your hulls, wash your sails, do something Hobie related, but don't go out in unfamiliar conditions.
James

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2006 9:22 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

In that case, most certainly wait til you have good conditions. I'd say about an 8 knot onshore breeze. The only problem there is waves.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2006 10:35 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Ballywho wrote:
In that case, most certainly wait til you have good conditions. I'd say about an 8 knot onshore breeze. The only problem there is waves.

When the wind blows offshore (for all the reasons mentioned) I sail in the Intracostal where you will always end up on a shore. It also tends to be MUCH smoother there and plenty of traffic for help if you need it.

Honestly, that is enough wind to have some fun!

:)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2006 4:57 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

uh, 12 knots is not exactly a typhoon. Seems to be about optimum wind for a beach cat. I would think an inexperienced sailor would have a lot more trouble with an onshore wind, getting off the beach. With a light breeze like that, all he needs to know is how to sail and he will hit the beach whenever he wants to. thats the easy part.

And if he really is a total dork, (which I really doubt), hey Mexico is nice this time of year.

Post subject: 14mph
PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2006 3:23 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

14 mph is what it takes before I'll even take my 16 out. As long as you can right the boat, go for it! I've been in 35kt + winds on a 16, and it is manageable...that's why I have the 16.

1998 H16 102698
www.sunjammers.com ftw!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2006 4:03 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I would say hold off, learn the boat well, then try some huge winds although I really don't consider those huge winds. Like Trey said, I really don't look at the water until I see white caps, then I might think about heading out.