Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:17 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2015 2:39 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I'm trying to move and storage for both the Hobie + the Whaler is becoming a problem. Unfortunately the Whaler gets priority garage spot so if I don't have anywhere to store the Hobie I was considering selling the Hobie and switching to a Laser or something which I could hang on the wall and transport via roof racks. This last house I looked at has very tall ceilings in the garage which got me thinking. Could I hang the Hobie+trailer over the Whaler? The Whaler doesn't have a T top or anything so I think it would fit. The Hobie+Trailer probably weighs what...600#s? The mast, sails etc could be stored separately. The one drawback to this plan would be if I make it too difficult to use the boat I wouldn't be inclined to use it as much. That's why the single handled laser sounds kind of appealing. Especially since my wife isn't exactly a fan of the Hobie.

What do you think? Winch/cables+hobie = success?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2015 5:18 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I used to hang my H-17 from the garage ceiling and store the trailer beside the garage in the winter. In the summer, the boat was still hoisted, with the trailer under the boat pushed all the way back in the garage, because my garage isn't long enough to hold the boat on the trailer.
With the boat on the trailer, hoisting them both, you'll need a good mechanical advantage system. I don't remember what I used for just the boat, maybe a 2:1 block arrangement at all 4 corners. While I could lift the entire boat at once, it was easier to lift the front, then the back.
You'll probably want a 4:1 or even a 6:1. Make sure there's clearance for the garage door.
You could use an electric winch too.
Another idea that occurs to me, is something like a dry land boat lift, so you are lifting it up instead of hoisting it.

Too many canoes and kayaks

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2015 5:27 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Keep the Hobie!! rent storage? or hang it like you said,
Do it like a teeter totter on the playground, but with the pivot on one end, pull it up the angle then hoist the low end up.
It would take some engineering but I could see it working.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2015 7:47 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

My brother in law has a barn and stores stuff in the upper level. He bought a cheap harbor freight winch and built a platform to place his stuff on, then hoists the whole works up and unloads it. In your case place the boat on the platform the hoist the whole works up with the hobie on the platform. Might be quicker to load/unload and you my use the boat more.
I made a manual block and tackle system with slings to hoist our kayaks up to the cieling for winter storage. It was such a pain to get the boats up there I only used it once. Whatever you do it needs to be simple fast and easy, if it's a pain, you won't use it very much. I found that out the hard way.
Bob

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2015 6:45 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

dorienc wrote:
I used to hang my H-17 from the garage ceiling and store the trailer beside the garage in the winter. In the summer, the boat was still hoisted, with the trailer under the boat pushed all the way back in the garage, because my garage isn't long enough to hold the boat on the trailer.
With the boat on the trailer, hoisting them both, you'll need a good mechanical advantage system. I don't remember what I used for just the boat, maybe a 2:1 block arrangement at all 4 corners. While I could lift the entire boat at once, it was easier to lift the front, then the back.
You'll probably want a 4:1 or even a 6:1. Make sure there's clearance for the garage door.
You could use an electric winch too.
Another idea that occurs to me, is something like a dry land boat lift, so you are lifting it up instead of hoisting it.

Yeah I was thinking about that too. I'm not sure the total ceiling height lift but maybe this is the perfect time to get a car lift. Great for Hobie storage and a dream when I need to do maintenance on the cars.

fusioneng wrote:
My brother in law has a barn and stores stuff in the upper level. He bought a cheap harbor freight winch and built a platform to place his stuff on, then hoists the whole works up and unloads it. In your case place the boat on the platform the hoist the whole works up with the hobie on the platform. Might be quicker to load/unload and you my use the boat more.
I made a manual block and tackle system with slings to hoist our kayaks up to the cieling for winter storage. It was such a pain to get the boats up there I only used it once. Whatever you do it needs to be simple fast and easy, if it's a pain, you won't use it very much. I found that out the hard way.
Bob

Yeah that's what I'm afraid of. I had the manual block for the canoe as well and like you said...it's work to use.

greensnopro wrote:
Keep the Hobie!! rent storage? or hang it like you said,
Do it like a teeter totter on the playground, but with the pivot on one end, pull it up the angle then hoist the low end up.
It would take some engineering but I could see it working.

I can't wrap my head around paying for storage. It would probably just be cheaper to rent a boat then pay $100+ a month to store it. If it was mast up storage I would consider it, but I would have to find a place to store the trailer in that case.

Regarding the teeter totter....I was thinking about that too. Do you mean standing it up on one side/hull? I wonder if that kind of pressure would cause damage to trailer wheel bearings or the hull/hull pylons.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2015 10:44 am 
Hobie Approved Guru

I'm just going to leave these right here:
Hoisted with the trailer winch, attached to 2x4s ramset into the garage floor. Made from leftover spare parts (blocks, tramp lacing, strap hooks, rings). Probably cost less than $25 total.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2015 5:19 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

thats rad

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2015 7:33 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

That is so stinking cool. That gives me a idea to use an old garage door opener.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2015 7:57 pm 
Hobie Approved Guru

The triple block has since been replaced with three separate blocks - there was too much friction and wear on the triple block because of the angle of the forward lines. Works much better now.

It's a bit wonky in that the forward and aft lines don't lift at the same rate. From the trailer, the sterns lift first and when it's all the way up, it's a bit bow high. Took some fiddling to get the line lengths just right.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2015 8:22 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Awesome. I need a heavy duty version of that which can lift a trailer too. And some failsafes to keep it from dropping on by boat

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2015 10:14 am 
Hobie Approved Guru

Nevek wrote:
Awesome. I need a heavy duty version of that which can lift a trailer too. And some failsafes to keep it from dropping on by boat

Make sure the screw eyes supporting the blocks are screwed into the center of the joists / trusses. A 2 x 4 member extending from the joist / truss to the rafters would help distribute the load, as would a 2x6 attached across several joists / trusses in the vicinity of the screw eye.

I've thought about fail-safes for the boat - lines looped around the truss in case the eye ever decides to pull out, but haven't gotten around to it in 20 years of use.

The other thing that's a bit scary is the winch has a ratchet going up, but nothing coming down. If you let go of the handle when lowering, you (and your boat) are in for a world of hurt.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2015 3:24 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I had a local awning shop stitch seat belt material around heavy D rings, and used them to sling the hulls.

Too many canoes and kayaks

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2022 10:41 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

MBounds wrote:
Nevek wrote:

Make sure the screw eyes supporting the blocks are screwed into the center of the joists / trusses. A 2 x 4 member extending from the joist / truss to the rafters would help distribute the load, as would a 2x6 attached across several joists / trusses in the vicinity of the screw eye.

I've thought about fail-safes for the boat - lines looped around the truss in case the eye ever decides to pull out, but haven't gotten around to it in 20 years of use.

The other thing that's a bit scary is the winch has a ratchet going up, but nothing coming down. If you let go of the handle when lowering, you (and your boat) are in for a world of hurt.

Bringing this back from the dead! New house new garage, I want to revisit hanging the Hobie. All your old pics are gone! Got them hosted anywhere? I noticed they were missing from some of the other threads on here too.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2022 5:38 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Here's a guy's method of hanging his Wave:

http://panofish.net/garage-boat-lift/

The disclaimer is probably worth repeating: "If you plan on doing something similar for your garage, be sure to consult a structural engineer and properly calculate loads to ensure safety."

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2022 7:24 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I had considered hanging my H16 and trailer above my Supercat 17. Probably the real solution is to only have one catamaran! But no reason why it would not work. I would be conservative and estimate the weight closer to 1000 lbs - then add a 50% safety factor.

1978 Hobie 16