Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 4:46 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: side rail grip
PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2015 12:28 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Is Dave's trap system modification class legal at hobie sponsored events?

If so, I'll probably end up doing this to my trap system too. I might add a caribeaner or two for personal preference, but that's it haha. Nice work Dave!

-Evan

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2015 7:58 pm 
Hobie Approved Guru

BboySlug wrote:

If so, I'll probably end up doing this to my trap system too. I might add a caribeaner or two for personal preference, but that's it haha. Nice work Dave!

-Evan

Probably. It's certainly not a "speed device."

However, it possesses one characteristic that personally drives me nuts.

In light air, you can't sit forward without the skipper's trap interfering with your body or the tiller extension (I don't use a Hotstick - only a fixed-length carbon stick). On new Hobie tramps, there are grommets in the tramp for the trap shock cords. I don't use the aft grommets for the same reason. I have a gap in my siderail carpet at the shroud, and that's where the skipper's trap gets parked in light air. The crew's trap runs through the grommet that's right at the shroud location.

Most of the wear from the shock cords is on the underside of the rail - if you don't put carpet/neoprene/etc. there, it won't get worn. You don't put your feet there for sure. Most of the wear on my boats siderail carpet is from my butt sliding over the top of the rail.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2015 7:10 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I install two grommets on my 16 tramp just like the new boats have...but found they take up too much sitting space on that small area, so back to Dave's setup for me........... :D

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2015 8:22 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

BboySlug wrote:
-Evan

Might be considered not class legal due to this paragraph:

9.4 No portion of the deck, or deck flange where
present, shall be altered, removed, cut down, or
in any way modified except as allowed herein.
The rear transom flanges, where present, may
be notched a maximum of 2 in. (5 cm) to accept
larger gudgeons or to repair breakout at the
rudder pin. Water tight deck access portholes
may be installed.”

Jim

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2015 8:05 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

MBounds wrote:
BboySlug wrote:

-Evan

Probably. It's certainly not a "speed device."

However, it possesses one characteristic that personally drives me nuts.

In light air, you can't sit forward without the skipper's trap interfering with your body or the tiller extension (I don't use a Hotstick - only a fixed-length carbon stick). On new Hobie tramps, there are grommets in the tramp for the trap shock cords. I don't use the aft grommets for the same reason. I have a gap in my siderail carpet at the shroud, and that's where the skipper's trap gets parked in light air. The crew's trap runs through the grommet that's right at the shroud location.

Most of the wear from the shock cords is on the underside of the rail - if you don't put carpet/neoprene/etc. there, it won't get worn. You don't put your feet there for sure. Most of the wear on my boats siderail carpet is from my butt sliding over the top of the rail.

I was as little concerned initially as MBounds had already pointed out "paragraph 9.4" in the rule book. The only modification is the single hole being drilled in outer flange of each hull. If this modification was going to be protested then I would expect that all boats with foot straps and Hawaiian righting systems would be protested as well. I've been in Hobie sponsored events (none of the really large ones) but never protested, not that I was ever close enough to the lead to be protested !!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

I think MBounds was right. This wasn't a performance modification so it probably wasn't going be much of an issue.

To Bill: This system gave me total access to all trampoline space without concerning myself about obstructions caused by the trap return system. By the time all extra sheet and lines from the righting bag, the Hawaiian righting system and the spinnaker were neatly stored in their Hobie bags, the trampoline is litterly obstruction free.

To MBounds: I've always used a "Hot Stick' (never had this problem) but I can relate to the characteristic you're referring to. Nevertheless, I took many things into consideration when setting up this system. If you notice, the skipper's trap line is much shorter than the crew's. That's because I'm much taller than most of my crew and it makes it much easier to pull myself with my arm in an extended position. Also color coded (black for the skipper and blue for the crew) for easier setup. I also made sure that the distance between the trap return lines were far enough apart as to not confine the crew between them. This system might not be for everyone but it was definitely for me. :)

David