Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Mon Apr 15, 2024 11:50 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 2:59 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I just sold my H14T and bought a H16. I would like to know if it's possible to have a jib furler setup exactly the same as that on the H14T or are there stresses and forces that prohibit this kind of setup?

Thanx
R

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 3:04 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

No, you can do it. But you just sold all the goodies to make it happen with your 14!

Glad to hear your on a 16.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 9:29 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanx for the input John, will try get over to your neck of the woods come spring. I can get hold of a roller furler and swivel, just need a furling jib. What about the bridle wires that attach to the furler, are they shorter than the standard bridles?

Thanx
R

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2006 6:22 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Yes, the bridles will need to be shorter.

Not sure, but saltydog or Murray's may have them, if not we can figure out length. I have a Hobie furler to measure. And I think bananahead (Springfield) has a furler setup for his 16.

Come see us (Jim's Sailing Center & Fleet 297) at the KC Boat Show, February 22nd thru 25th.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2006 9:56 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Yo, I have a furler for sale in great shape. And I know where to get a 16 jib for a furler.
cw

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2006 9:51 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Hey hoboturbo, Where do you sail in Missouri? We sail our 1980 h16 at Stockton Lake, we now live in Mt. Vernon, MO, used to live in Rolla- (the middle of everywhere?), but NO lakes were close by. Now we are only an hour from Stockton, much better!!
I do not recall replacing the bridles with shorter ones- I bought the furler setup from Hobie, furling jib from schurr sail in florida. I did have to add another adjuster to the forestay, otherwise the jib wouldn't reach the furler, (forestay is sewn into the furling jib). I have one adjuster on the top and one on the bottom, it makes it easier to adjust the rake of the mast further back.
John G.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2006 3:45 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hey bananahead, live in Columbia Mo, bought my H14T from Spurgeons at Stockton lake. I sail at Thomas Hill Lake, about 1hr North of Columbia and have yet to check out Longbranch & Mark Twain Lake. I sold my H14T to a guy out of Jackson TN and bought my H16 in WI. Boat is in really good conditionbut gelcoat was badly oxidized. I used a fine grain waterpaper to remove oxidization and then a marine compound/wax to polish and shine, looks almost new again. I really enjoyed the furler setup on the H14T and want to do the same on H16. Chris Wessels has a furler and swivel for me, Murrays can make the bridles and told me how to measure using my standard bridle. For the time being I think I'll just use my existing jib minus the battens untill I can get a proper furling jib. We should get together for a sail come spring.

Happy Sails
R