Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 4:06 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2015 4:12 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I have been able to get many things sorted out on my older H16, but one that still bugs me is that I can't get the old style crossbar adjusters to stay put. It seems that I can't get enough torque on the screws to keep them from pulling out of adjustment while sailing. This tends to slow the boat waaay down and out on the water it's tough to get back in place.

Has anyone else had this issue? I think I have the right screws in there, but when I took it apart for the season I noticed that 'possibly' the screw is long enough to hit the other side of the pipe and prevent me from fully tightening the nut, although that seems like it would still tighten it enough.

I am looking at the Miricle style ends. Would they work with my existing crossbar, or would I need to get the matching Miracle crossbar? Would that also come with the ends, or are they ordered seperately?

Better yet, can I get away with just buying the screw in ends and adjusters?

I appreciate any help, and am curious if I am the only one having issues with this.

Thanks,

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2015 5:29 pm 
Site Admin

Never hear of that problem. There is not a lot of load on these either, so likely not tightening enough. Yes, the screw could bottom out and prevent tensioning.

Should be 1/4-20 x 1" and a lock nut inside.

The 1953 kit gives you all of the parts and instructions to convert to the M20 style.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2015 5:58 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Verify that the screws are the right length and then use loctite when installing the screws. The nut inside the adjuster should be a nyloc nut, but it's possible that they nylon has worn out over time and is not holding properly. You can also change the screw to a hex head machine screw (rather than the standard slotted/phillips head screw) so that it can be tightened with a wrench rather than a screw driver. This will allow you to more easily torque the screw.

sm

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2015 6:11 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Get the Miracle 20 connectors! Never had a problem like that with the original connectors, but the miracle ones are the way to go. They're relatively easy to install on your original crossbar following the directions in the kit. Simple adjustment and easy rudder removal. I have them on both my 16 and 14t.

Dave

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2015 9:20 am 
Site Admin

1953 TILLER CONNECTOR KIT

https://static.hobiecat.com/item_attachments/1953z52.pdf

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2015 4:29 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Thanks everyone, I hadn't seen the kit in the catalog, but now that you mentioned it, it is right there!

Oh Santa Clause...

8)

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2015 7:54 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

As much as I REALLY want to convert to the Miracle crossbar ends, if I am the only seeing a big issue with this, I weighed the $146 vs the $3.50 I spent at Lowe's for stainless steel Allen head screws of the right size and new nylock nuts, and the cheaper solution won out.

I will try it when I get back on the water in the spring, and if it doesn't solve my problem right away, I will bite the bullet and get the good set up. It's funny, I now have a whole bag of parts worth $$$ that I still haven't put on the boat. In the last year, I have bought new lines for everything, a new tramp, new main traveler car, new trap lines, new batten ends and ties and now the crossbar end bolts. But when I get near the boat, if I have a choice between sailing or working on it, sailing always wins out! Maybe I should do it all over the winter, but the boat is all covered and stored outdoors, so putting the tramp on is impossible. The other things could all be done on the mast or other parts indoors, so maybe that will be the plan for this weekend!