Return to Hobie.com

Hobie Forums

It is currently Fri Jan 19, 2018 11:55 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2016 7:30 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I've heard of some people making a righting pole out of windsurf masts and using the universal joint. That way, you don't really need all that aluminum and the universal joint allows for your upward angle.

Does anybody have examples of that? It's a simpler design and I'd be interested on putting one on my boat. Those new carbon fiber righting poles are light and wouldn't hinder my racing performance much.

-Evan

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2016 12:45 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Well, I had promised and update for when I finally used the pole in the water...and to be honest, I have yet to even deploy it. So far, my focus has been on sailing the boat in my limited free time, and I have gotten better at controlling the boat. Sunvista, you have a valid point, and to be honest, looking back i probably would have made/bought shroud extenders instead of this...but whatever. It was a fun school project. When I made this pole (and post) I had only sailed the boat for a few months, and didnt know exactly how the shroud extenders worked...I had heard some people saying that the mast could pop out of the socket.
Also, I rather liked the idea of the windsurf mast, but frankly there arent many windsurfers in the southeast michigan cornfields, so I couldnt get one locally...but i would love to see a build (with pics) using one!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2016 1:30 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I've seen a few pics and a post on the forum about the shroud extender. I'm interested in it as well, but I still can't figure out conceptually how it works.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2016 8:00 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

best way to explain is to read this post...http://www.hobiecat.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=28982.... essentially, all it does is extend the shroud of the hull up in the air to allow the hull to lean over and make it easier to right, as you now have a fairly heavy hull (100lbs?) helping to pull the boat back over, instead of being past 90 degrees and trying to turtle the boat. Pics are probably an easier way to understand, I am a bad teacher :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2017 1:56 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I have been scouring the web for the past week or so looking at righting pole ideas.

I think your ideas are great! :D :D :D Obviously, the lighter the sailor, the longer the pole has to be. I don't agree that you have too many lines going. You actually have less lines running around than is the case with the triangle of lines in the set up for the commercially available righting pole. For the reasons you have outlined, the length of your pole requires the two lines. However, I agree that you should definitely use rope instead of cable.

I was wondering about two further possibilities. Rather than installing an attachment to clip the rope on to, could you not just run the rope around the trampoline support and then clip it onto a loop tied on the line? This would avoid drilling and screwing into the hobie.

The other possibility would be using some sort of rope hinge where the righting pole connects to the area just behind the upper dolphin striker. Perhaps running the last bit of rope that tensions the middle of the tramp through holes in the pole or better yet having it run through a loop of some sort that attaches topside of the pole. It is true that using the pole would cause the pole to push against the tramp rope. However, most of the force caused by hanging off the pole would be downward. There would be some horizontal/upward force against the tramp but not nearly as much as the downward force at the end of the pole.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 7:12 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I suppose you could make some kind of a rope tie off to the front pylon, but in my case I had some aluminum angle stock and just stuck that on the bolt that runs through the pylon. IIRC, only change was putting a stainless nut instead of the nylon stock one. No modification of the boat required, just some angle with two holes drilled in it.

You could make it sit on the tramp ropes (Could probably even make it sit on the striker with the same idea) and I sailed with someone who had a pole designed like that, however he never used it so I am unsure how well it works. I suspect it would be fairly unstable and hard to deploy if you have any chop at all. Would be happy to see someone prove otherwise though.

Mine still needs to have a second support line added as last time I attempted to use it, I climbed out on the pole and quickly swung back towards the boat and fell off. It can support the weight just fine, but it needs to have "V" shape in support lines so it stays put. I'll probably do that in the spring when it thaws out.