Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 1:41 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2016 1:02 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Hi guys

I bought a Hobie 16 last summer - its about 13 years old. When I bought it the previous owner told me that she blocked up the drain plugs as she was convinced they were letting water in. The drain plug housings have been removed and gel coated over. There are however two inspection ports on each hull and a sponge to remove water.

Is this good practice to block up the drain plugs and should I have them re-instated?

I've had some problems doing some gelcoat repairs (gel won't bond to hulls) and I'm wondering if there is a build up of moisture in the hulls that is causing this problem.

Kind regards, Fobos

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2016 2:35 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

fobos8 wrote:
Is this good practice to block up the drain plugs and should I have them re-instated?

Let's put it this way, it's not good practice to allow water to sit inside the hulls for extended periods of time. The easiest way to get water out is by unscrewing the drain plugs and allowing the boat to drain. If you have another way of getting the water out (access ports) then I guess you're ok.

sm

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2016 8:19 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Seems like it would be more work to block them up, than take them apart, clean everything up, reseal them when re installing and getting new O rings/ rubber gaskets for the plugs. ( if not replace both of them )

If your out sailing in heavy winds, capsizing, turtling, sailing it hard, etc. water is going to get in the hulls, not to mention condensation.
Hull plug drains are the best way to get it out after a good sail.

79 H16 #46803

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2016 2:16 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Your hulls need to breath and dry out if water gets in. Not allowing your hulls to breath when not being used will only cause issues.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2016 4:39 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

The C2 F18 catamarans, which are high performance racing catamarans, don't have drain plugs. Instead they have access ports with sponges inside as well. So, I'm quite certain you're fine.

I think there's a catch. I've seen many a hobie 16 which have been stored with the drain plugs in, and water is also left in the hulls. Over time, as each day heats up and cools down by night again and again, there is less heat exchange between the air in the inside and outside of the hulls. This over time causes the hulls to expand and shrink on a daily cycle, causing fatigue and a weaker hull. I'd suggest making sure that when you do store it, try to make sure that the air can excape easily as the day heats up to avoid this fatigue in the long term.

Otherwise, just empty the water out of your hulls with the sponges provided and you'll be fine. There are many other (higher performance) catamarans with the same setup as your boat.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2016 8:29 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I have a F18 Hobie Wildcat with no drainplugs
After each sailing time i inspect the hulls for water
I soak the water up with a sponge
I have drilled a 4 mm hole in the midle of my inspection port hatch to let the hull breath in warm /cold weather

470 sailnr NED 560 sold

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2016 10:09 am 
Site Rank - Captain

great - many thanks for the replies.

I'll leave things are they are