Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 9:52 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2017 7:54 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

New to Hobies, Bought a 1975 Hobie 16, 6 weeks ago, spent a couple of weeks cleaning the boat up, pressure washer, new tramp, new lines..Sailing the (censored) out of it since.

I drove 3 hours one way to the nearest Hobie Dealer today, they had nothing in stock..

I am looking at the mast Stepper III, I can build one, can anyone that has one give me the length of the extension?

I learned the hard way my 5'9" 205# body can't right this boat solo, I am looking at righting systems, I like the Colorado Bag, I want to order it, try and right the boat with it, plan on ordering the block and tackle from Murrays.com, Any suggestions.

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 9:31 am 
Site Admin

The stepper 3 is for the Getaway only. The pole length would be distance from mast base to just past the bridle.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 12:54 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

One thing about the righting bag is that it's really hard to practically use. My hobie dealer told me NOT to buy it. He had sailed the boats since he was a kid. He is also 5'9", but at the time was probably closer to 170lbs. He said he just attached a backpack which had a trash bag inside of it to the bottom of his boat. When he would capsize solo, he would swim the top of the mast into the wind, then deploy the backpack, fill up the bag, strap it to his front, and right the boat.

The righting bag has a really good marketed photos, but when you're actually doing it it's hard to sling it over your back in such a fashion as the girl in the photo. Then, since you're uneven, your shoulders end up going in-line with the boat and water instead of perpendicular like in the photo. So it's really difficult to use.

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 5:17 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

What sort of righting system is on your boat? The key is to break the suction from the water and the sail if I'm not mistaken, get it up enough that wind will catch the jib and help right the boat. Check out the Hawaiian style righting system, or easy up system. Hope this helps.

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 10:54 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thank you for the replies

I had some fun a couple of weeks ago, dumped the boat, Couldn't right it.

I do not want to be scared of the boat, I have to be be able to right it myself..so from the responses...Power right? or the Marrey bag with a block and tackle? I am not counting on a backpack with a garbage bag when I am in the drink.

I want to dump the boat with a smile, get it up right and do it again..

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 3:00 am 
Site Rank - Captain

here's my .02 on what I just read for you, First the tip on turning the boat from the top of the mast(as long as it's sealed good and floating) is a good one, I do it that way but my mast floats pretty good, I tried the standing on the hull and letting the wind turn the boat but it's not always great. I actually like the backpack Idea, if I can find just the right light weight one I may try it, I'm 5'10" and 185 and can't seem to get mine to flip up either, damn close but not quite.
Another tip when you go to right if you have your trap harness on make a loop or wrap your rope around the hook, it takes all that labor off your arms and that helps. There are some neat inventions for righting poles out there, including home made ones on youtube, if you're handy, I made the one out of metal conduit with wooden ends, it ties on up front and works great. If you need a link let me know. Now I think I'll check out the block and tackle you mentioned at murrays I don't think I've seen that one.
Good luck! Happy sailing!

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 8:36 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I made my own stepper using two different diameters of PVC pipe, adjustable nylon straps, 1/4" nylon braided rope, & stainless steel caribeaners. Here's a link to a quick video I made. I can provide more details if needed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=glCDq7BerKA

My girlfriend and I made a water bag that I got to try out this past Sunday. We picked up a piece of rip-stop nylon from the local fabric store, sewed it into the shape of a simple bag, and also sewed 1" nylon straps down the sides and around the bottom to give it the needed strength. We also sewed a 1/2" diameter length of rope around the opening to make filling it easier. Overall, it worked great. One modification I'm going to make before the next solo outing will be to add a second strap at least 4' long that will attach to the bag and then 4' back on the existing strap. The problem I encountered was getting the strap to stay on my shoulder. It kept wanting to slide down my arm. Adding a second strap will allow me to put a strap on either side of my neck & keep the bag centered. I want at least 4' on the second strap so that my head will easily slide out as the boat rights itself.

I now have the confidence to take it out under any conditions and not worry about getting stranded!

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 10:28 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Here is a link to a Vid. showing the Solo Right in action..

He pulls the pin at around the 2:58 mark....

This is a Hobie 20 ... they make these for the 16

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XqY_zMlETo0

The part is in the Hobie Cat. page 16..

https://cdn.hobiecat.com/digital_assets ... 1491190550

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 1:14 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Easiest righting pole I ever saw was from a guy who picked up some free windsurfing gear. He used the universal joint as the base, and strapped the windsurf mast which naturally fit into the joint base to the bottom of the boat. A drill for a few holes, and a little bit of rope... the righting pole was born. Stowed away nicely under his boat, and was easily deployed/recovered.

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 9:02 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

The stepper 3 is for the Getaway only. The pole length would be distance from mast base to just past the bridle.

that made since, built one in the garage, friend is going to help me try it out tomorrow

As for righting the boat, there is no one answer I guess I will have to try a few things.

Thank You for the responces

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 9:51 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Easiest way to right the boat and enjoy the process is to eat more pizza and drink more beer/rum!

Memphis, TN fleet 134
Hobie 20! G-Cat5.0 and 2 Hobie 14's
Photobucket now wants $100 to post pics on forums......... pass.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 5:54 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Trek2120 wrote:
I made my own stepper using two different diameters of PVC pipe, adjustable nylon straps, 1/4" nylon braided rope, & stainless steel caribeaners. Here's a link to a quick video I made. I can provide more details if needed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=glCDq7BerKA

Yes, please provide more details on your stepping rig. Lengths and diameters of PVC, closer photos of how the gin pole rig is attached to the mast prior to stepping, etc.

I found your vid on Youtube earlier this week. I'm glad I found you here. Spill the beans!