Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 8:20 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Mast drop damage
PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2016 5:05 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hello everyone!
I Am brand new to this forum.
This subject I am sure has been covered many times however this is all new to me. I bought a 1986 manufactured Hobie 16 this summer and dropped the Mast yesterday while trying to lower it. There is now a depression dent where the Mast hit the back end of the trampoline crossmember and there is also a very slight Bend in the mast. I will try to figure out how to post photographs in my inquiry. My question of course is may I continue to sail the boat with this condition or am I asking for trouble?

Thanks for the add and putting up with what I am sure is a redundant topic of conversation.

By the way, I chose the name Spartacus as my username only because my real name was already taken as a username. :-)

Spartacus

(Allen in Allentown, PA, USA)

Post subject: Re: Mast drop damage
PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2016 9:46 am 
Site Admin

Dents can cause failure under load... photos will help.

Quote:
I will try to figure out how to post photographs in my inquiry.

Top of the forum section under FAQ. Image posting FAQ:

http://www.hobiecat.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=8574

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2016 4:53 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Depending on the extent of the damage I would likely keep on sailing. These things are pretty tough and failure wouldnt be catastrophic. Just keep an eye out on craigslist for a good deal for an eventual replacement

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2016 10:04 pm 
Hobie Approved Guru

Nevek wrote:
Depending on the extent of the damage I would likely keep on sailing. These things are pretty tough and failure wouldnt be catastrophic.

Without seeing the damage, that's a pretty bold recommendation.

The dent is from the rear crossbeam - about 8 feet up from the mast base - and a little less than halfway to the tang. You might as well put a "Break Here" sign on it - and if/when it goes, it will go quickly, without warning and leave nasty sharp edges on the broken ends.

Dismasting is bad enough - dealing with shredded sails and an angry alligator of a broken mast just adds to it.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2016 10:07 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I agree with Mbounds. Dents in masts can potentially cause catastrophic failure which would leave you stranded on the water and in an overall dangerous situation, especially considering the sharp edges of the broken mast.

If the dent is really small, then it might be OK, but there's really no way of knowing until the mast breaks in half. To put things in perspective, imagine taking an empty soda can and squeezing it from the ends between your two hands - it won't crush. Then put a small dent in the side of the can and see what happens - it will crumple easily. Your mast is essentially the same thing - a thin walled tube loaded in compression. Once the integrity of the side wall is compromised by a dent, it loses considerable strength.

sm