Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 2:09 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2016 10:16 am 
Site Rank - Captain

A friend share this photo of a Green H16. My guess is that it's a 1975 because of the yellow tramp and the rarity of green hulls. He said that it looks like it washed up there. If anyone has more information on this I can find out its exact location.

2010 NACRA Infusion
2004 F18 Hobie Tiger - SOLD
Hobie 16 - BREAKPOINT - SOLD

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2016 6:16 am 
Hobie Approved Guru

Probably older than '75. It's still got the cleats for the original traveler system.

Man, that boat is beat. That's sunburn on the port hull.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2016 9:13 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I hope the sailor fared better than that boat. Would be an interesting story.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2016 12:55 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

based on my experience with Lake Superior I can guess what happened. They probably had the boat pulled well up on the beach, into the beach grass, but a big storm kicked the waves way up. You can see the erosion in the dune the boat is resting against in the pic, probably caused by a similar storm. Owner wasn't around, or wasn't paying attention as the waves/swell reached the boat and took her away. I had the same thing happen to my 14 a few years ago, accept I had a rope on mine tied to a tree on the hillside 20 ft above the lake and about 50 ft further inland. My boat was parked well into the beach grass, higher than the highest I'd ever seen the lake reach. Monster storm came and my boat ended up sideways (but upright!) even higher up on my property 30-40ft down the beach. It swung like a pendulum on the rope I had tied to a tree (I was out of town when it happened).

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2016 7:50 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Is that a blue registration tag on the outside of the port hull and is it legible? Could be a clue. There is also the HIN on the aft bulkhead. That may also help locating someone. Fun Stuff.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2016 7:14 am 
Site Rank - Captain

coreboarder wrote:
based on my experience with Lake Superior I can guess what happened. They probably had the boat pulled well up on the beach, into the beach grass, but a big storm kicked the waves way up. You can see the erosion in the dune the boat is resting against in the pic, probably caused by a similar storm. Owner wasn't around, or wasn't paying attention as the waves/swell reached the boat and took her away. I had the same thing happen to my 14 a few years ago, accept I had a rope on mine tied to a tree on the hillside 20 ft above the lake and about 50 ft further inland. My boat was parked well into the beach grass, higher than the highest I'd ever seen the lake reach. Monster storm came and my boat ended up sideways (but upright!) even higher up on my property 30-40ft down the beach. It swung like a pendulum on the rope I had tied to a tree (I was out of town when it happened).

This is most likely what happened. I was searching Google earth and I think I spotted it on the beach a few hundred feet from where it was found.

2010 NACRA Infusion
2004 F18 Hobie Tiger - SOLD
Hobie 16 - BREAKPOINT - SOLD