All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 5:16 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

HI I'd say go for it. I love my 18.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2019 8:31 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

AnthonyMoore wrote:
Sodusbayhobie wrote:
Hi all, I've owned my hobie 16 for about 3 years now and only have the house highest praise for it. It's fun fast and exhilarating but I've been recently thinking is there more out there? Over the years I've been on and off about the hobie 18. Throughout the dbal max reviews before and after 1 week updated using phenq years my only grievence with the boat is the dagger boards would get caught up on seaweed. Now that I don't sail in the bay anymore, my primary focus is open Lake Ontario sailing so I'm thinking that a boat that's faster, can point better, and can handle more wind would be a better option. Please feel free voice your opinion I'd really appreciate it.
-Brendan Harris

I used to have Hobie 16 that I traded a couple of years back with Hobie 20 (of course, I had to pay extra money). For a few weeks it was fun, but to tell you the truth I miss my Hobie 16. I still regret my decision of not trying another boat before disposing of the one that I owned and loved. My advice would be to test drive the new one before making any decision. Learned the hard way!

Hey guys, thanks to both of you. I was seriously thinking about upgrading my Hobie 16 to Hobie 20, but after reading your experiences, I've dropped the idea. I don't want to learn the hard way haha.

Last edited by JeffreyZimmerman on Sat Sep 19, 2020 2:47 am, edited 3 times in total.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2019 7:05 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I'm biased as I've been sailing the 18' since the mid 1980s. I single handed for many, many years while living oceanfront in Jacksonville, FL and raised and lowered my mast by myself with the help of my home made Gin Pole- piece of cake! As to handling, I sail off shore up to 15 miles insurf and seas up 6-8' high.

The 18 glides over them and seldom pitch poles like the 14 or 16'. Now I'm over 64 years old and still love flying a hull in calmer waters
of the Gulf of Mexico :o
Stoked! Quite thinking and talking about moving up to an 18' ; Just DO IT
cheers

Boat name: Blown Away

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2019 8:16 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I'd say go for it. I love my 18.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2019 9:41 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I know this OP is a couple years old, but can't resist weighing in with my 2 cents worth. A few years after buying my first H16 I seriously considered trading up to an H18. I wanted more bow buoyancy and daggers for pointing, and also to bring more people. I got close to doing it. Then I thought about what I really liked about sailing. For me, a lot of it is related to solo sailing. I don't have anything against mates, I just like being able to do everything myself and go when I want to. That nixed the H18 for me. I can haul my H16 around the beach, launch, sail, and land without help. Also, having dagger boards is just one (two?) more challenge for my ADD. For me, simpler is better. I think the H16 is the finest single-hand boat ever made.

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2019 12:32 am 
Sodusbayhobie wrote:
Hi all, I've owned my hobie 16 for about 3 years now and only have the house highest praise for it. It's fun fast and exhilarating but I've been recently thinking is there more out there? Over the years I've been on and off about the hobie 18. Throughout the years my only grievence with the boat is the dagger boards would get caught up on seaweed. Now that I don't sail in the bay anymore, my primary focus is open Lake Ontario sailing so I'm thinking that a boat that's faster, can point better, and can handle more wind would be a better option. https://elitecollege.school/
Please feel free voice your opinion I'd really appreciate it.

-Brendan Harris

few weeks it was fun, but to tell you the truth I miss my Hobie 16.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2019 3:36 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

I got divorced years ago cause I wondered if there was more out there. I SORT of regret it lol
Why not hook up with someone who has an 18 or whatever you think would be better and see if you can go out with them. I have heard prindles are fun but I have 3 hobie cats now so I think I have enough for me! 8)

84 14T Redline #67 Blue Hawaii faded but still working!
82 Yellow hull16 '81 Boomer nationals 20.9 on GPS
83 White hull 16 No sails "Clean and Purty Now!"
87 White hull no sails no tramp

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2019 4:08 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

AnthonyMoore wrote:
Sodusbayhobie wrote:
Hi all, I've owned my hobie 16 for about 3 years now and only have the house highest praise for it. It's fun fast and exhilarating but I've been recently thinking is there more out there? Over the years I've been on and off about the hobie 18. Throughout the years my only grievence with the boat is the dagger boards would get caught up on seaweed. Now that I don't sail in the bay anymore, my primary focus is open Lake Ontario sailing so I'm thinking that a boat that's faster, can point better, and can handle more wind would be a better option. Please feel free voice your opinion I'd really appreciate it. https://www.redadair.com
-Brendan Harris

I used to have Hobie 16 that I traded a couple of years back with Hobie 20 (of course, I had to pay extra money). For a few weeks it was fun, but to tell you the truth I miss my Hobie 16. I still regret my decision of not trying another boat before disposing of the one that I owned and loved. My advice would be to test drive the new one before making any decision. Learned the hard way!

Its all about the hobie 20 because that was not even a hard way to raise a voice

PostPosted: Tue Dec 24, 2019 12:49 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hi I'd say go for it. I love my 18.