Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 8:17 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: lateral hull play
PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 8:20 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hello,

My hobie cat is year 2000, so I will try with the h14 sleeve. I hope my dealer has it...

The rear pylon is less worn than the fwd one. The other hull is stick in the casting so I dont know if it is worn.

I will take pictures of the rear pylon and post it.

Nicolas

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2017 6:27 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Interesting that you seem to have a 1/2" hole in a pylon on a 2000 boat. I think 1995 was the year the castings and pylons were updated, and the hole size was reduced to 3/8". Does that pylon have a track in the rear, like the mast? The newer ones don't have a track in them, but the earlier ones were H14 mast sections or something like that with the track sealed. I don't know for a fact but I assume that changed at the same time as everything else in 1995.

Regardless, it seems you have a slight mismatch. The larger hole in your pylon stood out to me, too, looking at the pics.

'00 H16 #104691
'78 H16 #32692 ex-rental [gone]
Old Holsclaw trailer
My Hobie 16 pages

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2017 3:18 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Good evening!

I went to the hobie today, and checked for the casting. And that's right, the casting is 3/8" while the pylon is 1/2" ... That's explain the very worn pylon.
The rear one is same thing. Casting 3/8" and pylon 1/2" but in better shape. (attached is a picture of the rear pylon)

My pylons doesn't have the track (see picture).

I didn't compare with the other hull because the pylons are stuck in the casting. Nothing moves.
The older owner didn't mentionned of any replaced hull, so I think it is the original one. But that's really strange...

For the time (temporary fix) I filled the hole with some "epoxy metal" and will drill it at 3/8". I'm assuming that forces are not too strong, and it will last some times. I will shim the casting with cans too.
I will try to order a H14 mast sleeve for a long term fix.

If you some better idea for a temporary fix, let me know !

Nicolas

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2017 4:42 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hello,

Some pics of the repairs.

I filled the hole with some "epoxy metal" and drill at 3/8".

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2017 1:44 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hello,

here the last part of repair. I shim the pylon with some fanta can and put the casting with hammer and sheet of wood.

I need to cut excess of can and it will be good...I hope !

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2017 3:16 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I had one my pylons crack through the holes. A 2in hardwood dowel will fit inside the pylon very tight. Just cut the dowel so it goes 4 in past your hole then coat it with epoxy and slide it in. Then drill the new hole slightly small so you will have to screw the bolt through the wood. Then epoxy the casting and the pylon together and put the bolt back in. This method saved my hull from the scrap heap and the boat is super tight. Good

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 5:40 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

looks like you have your issue solved nicely!

Just for grins, check the serial number on each of your hulls.
I suspect your "problem" hull is from a pre '95 boat

Sheet In, Max Out

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2017 3:50 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hello!

I will check for the serial numbers.

I sailed with the boat on saturday, there is still a little play, but really less than before. I probably need to shim the pylon a little bit more...
Do you know if the screw+bolt is supposed to take the lateral forces of the hull? Or is it only the role of the tight fit of the casting into the pylon ?

Nicolas

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2017 9:19 am 
Site Rank - Captain

The bolt shouldn't be used to make the fit tight, that's what the shims are for. You risk cracking the casting if you over tighten the bolt.. More shims could be made with strips of the cans. Bend them to hook over the top of the pylon so they don't slip down when you put it together.

84 yellow hulls hobie 16 Yellow Nationals
plus a few extras that I'm restoring

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 7:53 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

The bolts are not over tightened. I will probably shim more the pylon. I will let you know!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:35 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hi All,

repairs was not so good...
After that, I tried to put a aluminium tube in the pylon, and shim the pylon, but after few hours, the hull play comes again.

So, final decision is to epoxy the pylon/casting. I saw in the hotline magazine that they were welding a aluminium sheet inside the pylon to then, redrill a new hole. As I already have an aluminium tube inside the pylon, do I need to weld an aluminium sheet? Or is it only epoxy who hold casting/pylon together?

For the epoxy job, I bought epoxy resin, hardener, and minifiber of polyethlyene.

Thank you for your help!

Nicolas

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 8:22 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Gary Willcox wrote a good illustrated article in On The Wire Vol 3 - Issue 1, October 1998:

Hobie 16 Frame Epoxy Project Increasing the Performance of Your Boat

http://www.thebeachcats.com/OnTheWire/wwwcatsail/archives/v3-i2/feature1.htm

I followed his process several years ago on my 1982 and 1984 H16s while they were on the trailer. I waited until after the epoxy cured before I re-installed the tramp and also used the Marson Big Daddy to pull the rivets.

While removing one of the nuts on the dolphin striker bar, the bar broke before the nut turned. Thankfully there was still enough thread left on the bar that I was able later to thread a new nut on it's end. I also had to replace a rear corner casting and rear crossbar since the casting had a crack in it and had corroded tightly to the rear crossbar. The other end of the old rear crossbar was almost paper thin (where it had been in the other side's rear casting). Fortunately, I was able to get a good used rear crossbar and rear casting locally from Pat Martin's Starboard Marine in Panama City Beach, FL.

I agree with what Gary Willcox said after completing his project:

Quote:
Quote:
Since this project, I had the chance to race this boat locally. All I can say is, "what a difference!" As the boat tackled motor boat chop, it just cut right through it instead of slowing down and absorbing the shock. It felt like a totally different boat. Flying a hull was precise and controlled. I had only wished that I had done this on my previous Hobie 16's. A must recommend project for anyone wanting to get more out of their H16. An absolute must for the occasional or serious racer. Now is the time to perform this job.

87 H14T
Tortola Sails: 115222
Blue Prism Sails: 88863
Clearwater, FL

Last edited by Tim H16 on Thu May 13, 2021 12:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 6:30 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hello,

thank you for your answer.

Did the pylon's hole was ovalized?