Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 9:18 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: HOBIE 16 JIB LUFF WIRE
PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 7:10 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Credit to the Hobie world, " replace your rigging periodically". So personally I'm doing just that on my Hobie 16.

However, I'm amazed that there is little to non support for replacing the jib luff wire. Every yahoo who sells hobie rigging and bits has anything you need, black ,white, no cover, large, long, short etc. Want to replace the jib luff wire, not even the Hobie catalogue , N. American or Euro has this item, as a kit or assembly. If it's there, I cant find it.

The jib luff wire, tang strap and your bridles pretty much work 99%+ of the time your out sailing. Unlike your head stay and shrouds, which in principle spend about half their time dangling slack. So we can debate, what's harder on the rigging, dangling,wiggling, hinging at the fittings or being under tension. Eather way, the jib luff wire is important too. Give it some respect, they do break.

THANKS FOR THE REPLYS. I was looking for something that does not exist. I'm in process of going thru a pure OEM 83' H16 and would like to keep things in proper order to meet class rules. For example the swage fitting makes good sense to pass thru the sail, but it would not meet class rules as BUILT by OEM with nico press eyes on each end.

So this leads to next question, I see class rules, I have WS/ISAF equipment rules, but I see no Hobie class rules interpretation /rulings? Does this exist?
There are several rules that have contradiction or lack of clarity that may have already been determined and explained by the rules committee thru the years.

I would really like to go to my first regatta and go sailing, not spend it in the parking lot working on the boat.

THANKS AGAIN FOR THE HELP
So it appears their is no record/log/history of rules interpretations/rulings by the Hobie rules committee.
Of course I can email members of the rules committee. Hate to waist their time answering e-mails and questions most likely have been asked at some point the 40+ years or so. I prefer they spend their valuable VOLUNTEER time moving all Hobie classes forward, rather than moving backward answering my stale questions.

The rules are made by humans, the boats are made by humans, nether perfect, no problem. Issues previously asked and answered don't go to the supreme court.

The rules committee answering my emails only benefits me, the rules committee making rulings/interpretations for everyone to see AND LEARN benefits all the class and ( in my opinion) helps solidify Hobie general rules #1 and #2.

Last edited by sinman on Mon Feb 27, 2017 12:46 pm, edited 4 times in total.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2017 3:13 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Not sure why it is not a sellable item, but if you check out the Hobie Wire Guide, the specs for the luff wire are listed, so any sailing shop that makes wire rigging should be able to make one up for you quite easily.

http://static.hobiecat.com/2010_archive ... eGuide.pdf

sm

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2017 9:45 am 
Site Admin

The H16 luff wire has thimbles on each end. You can not pass a completed wire through the luff. You would have to have the sail at the wire table. Pass the wire through then finish the thimble / nicro press. So we don't offer it.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2017 10:04 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Maybe use a swage eye fitting rather than a nicropress thimble on one of the ends so it will slip through the luff sleeve. Then use a shackle as a tie off point for the luff adjustment line.

sm

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2017 6:34 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

mmiller wrote:
The H16 luff wire has thimbles on each end. You can not pass a completed wire through the luff. You would have to have the sail at the wire table. Pass the wire through then finish the thimble / nicro press. So we don't offer it.

Is that so different from the older H16 main halyard that needed to be crimped after installation? That was sold as a part, I think.

'00 H16 #104691
'78 H16 #32692 ex-rental [gone]
Old Holsclaw trailer
My Hobie 16 pages

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 1:45 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

When I first decided that I wanted to race, I was all concerned about things on my 35 year old boat being all Hobie Class legal. In reality, it was worry for nothing. Everyone will be so happy to have a new racer, they will embrace you and buy you beer. Just show up with what you have and get a few races under the belt, and talk to the people that you are racing against. They will provide more help and advice that you can imagine.

The reality is, that you will not (never) be competitive with a new boat, if yours is from 1983, unless you are that much better a sailor and they are not. And unless you start beating them, no one will complain that your swage on the Jib is not class legal. Obviously, if you are trying to get to Nationals, it is a different story, but again, you will likely want a newer boat for that.

Another thing I found, is that most of the racing in my area is a generic Catamaran Racing organization, that doesn't really care about 'class legal'. Only certain events that are limited to Hobie cats are even really moderately concerned.

My advice, go racing!! Have fun. That is what it's all about. When you get to the point that 'Class Legal' matters, they will politely let you know, and then you can worry about. And when they come talk to you, don't fight it. Crack open a beer, smile, and know that you must be pretty good at this!

FYI...no one has told me that yet...but I am having fun.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 6:40 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

^^^^^^^^^^^ that is the EXACT experience I've had the last 6-7 Years at regattas....... no Pro's give a crap about you racing a 30yo non class legal boat unless you start beating them ( which you wont ) so just start going to regattas and have fun.

Memphis, TN fleet 134
Hobie 20! G-Cat5.0 and 2 Hobie 14's
Photobucket now wants $100 to post pics on forums......... pass.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 7:40 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

sinman wrote:

THANKS FOR THE REPLYS. I was looking for something that does not exist. I'm in process of going thru a pure OEM 83' H16 and would like to keep things in proper order to meet class rules. For example the swage fitting makes good sense to pass thru the sail, but it would not meet class rules as BUILT by OEM with nico press eyes on each end.

So this leads to next question, I see class rules, I have WS/ISAF equipment rules, but I see no Hobie class rules interpretation /rulings? Does this exist?
There are several rules that have contradiction or lack of clarity that may have already been determined and explained by the rules committee thru the years.

I would really like to go to my first regatta and go sailing, not spend it in the parking lot working on the boat.

To my knowledge (and I've been involved in Hobie racing for roughly 30 years), there is no restriction against changing out the type of wire end fitting or using non-OEM wires. The restrictions are that the wires must be equal to or larger than the stock diameter and function with the stock adjusters (for example, you could not add a fitting which allows for adjustment while sailing).

And to reiterate what everyone else has said, no one is going to hassle you for replacing a wire on a 30 year old boat. No one is even going to notice for that matter. Just do what you need to do to make the boat safe and get out and race :D

If you have specific questions about the legality of any changes, you can also email the rules committee directly. I have done this in the past and received prompt feedback.

sm

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2021 11:26 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hello, I have one in excellent condition if you still need one.

Will