Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 12:04 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: H16 Original Block
PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 7:40 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I was just given a 1985 Hobie H16. The boat has only been sailed 3 or 4 times since it was purchased new in 1985. Owner had everything but the mainsheet block which he misplaced at some point in the last 30 years. I have no idea what I'm going to do with this boat, but would like to obtain the original equipment block to make it complete. Any idea what the make and model of that block system was? Thanks.

Post subject: Re: H16 Original Block
PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 7:47 pm 
Hobie Approved Guru

An '85 would have had the original Seaway system. Double block over a single ratchet. What a POS that is compared to what's used now.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2017 12:04 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I would have a used set of the original blocks, if you're interested.

84 yellow hulls hobie 16 Yellow Nationals
plus a few extras that I'm restoring

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2017 6:50 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Why exactly are the original Seaway blocks considered "POS" ?
What is standard equipment on a brand new H16, and what are the differences and benefits of a newer system?

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2017 8:15 am 
Hobie Approved Guru

HobieMarty wrote:
Why exactly are the original Seaway blocks considered "POS" ?
What is standard equipment on a brand new H16, and what are the differences and benefits of a newer system?

Where do I even start?

OK, new boats come with a system like this:
The lower block (Harken 194) is no longer in production, but there are similar alternatives, including the Harken 2629 (more on that later).

The greatest advantage to the newer systems is lower stack height. The closer you can get the boom to the rear crossbar while maintaining leech tension on the sail, the faster you will go upwind. The new blocks can easily chop 6" off the stack height. Look at how close the boom is to the rear beam in this photo:

The other major advantage is that the blocks just work better - they roll easier, they don't twist up, the cleats work (and won't chew up your line). Combined with a reduction in line size (from 3/8" to 5/16"), the mainsheet just flows through the blocks. It's one of those things that you can't believe it until you try it - and then you'll never want to go back.

On a single-handed boat like the 14 and 17, the Harken 2629 is a must. The ratchet only engages when there's tension on the line. As soon as you release the tension (like in a tack), the block free-wheels. You'll almost never blow another tack again.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2017 8:28 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

If it has black anodizing, it came with the Harken low profile blocks (Special Edition). Even if it came with the Seaway blocks, forget that, and get a low profile system.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2017 9:48 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I thought that all 16s 85 an newer were standard with Black anodized frames.

84 yellow hulls hobie 16 Yellow Nationals
plus a few extras that I'm restoring

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2017 6:36 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Mast, frame, and corner castings are all black anodized on my '84, (actually never seen another like it), but it has Seaway blocks. They work fine for now. I don't race, so.....an upgrade is not in my budget at this time.
Thank you for the explanation.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2017 7:28 pm 
Hobie Approved Guru

HobieMarty wrote:
Mast, frame, and corner castings are all black anodized on my '84, (actually never seen another like it), but it has Seaway blocks. They work fine for now. I don't race, so.....an upgrade is not in my budget at this time.
Thank you for the explanation.

Like I said, it's one of those things that you can't believe it until you try it - and then you'll never want to go back.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 7:34 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

With a new boat you get all the bells and whistles when you start. On an older boat, it doesn't come with the upgrades, yet the longer you sail, the more you'll discover that the upgrades make the experience more enjoyable. Hence on the older boats, as the budget permits, one tends to do upgrades. All of the upgrades that I've done have improved my sailing experience.

In retrospect, the first upgrade I would have done is the blocks. I have two sets of blocks, one for my normal use and one in case of an emergency. (i.e., I forgot to pack the good set of blocks) Matt Bounds points out reducing stack height, which is nice, but the big thing to me is how much better the operation of the new blocks is. The flow of line is so smooth with the new blocks that I can bring in or out the boom a quarter of an inch at a time. The old set is only good for massive adjustments because it slides so poorly.

And the ultimate experience is when you're about ready to go over and let go the main sheet to dump the sail. With the new block there's so little restriction it just happens. The old blocks? Well, a little dunking is good for the soul.

I can understand budget constraints. But when my budget permitted, this is the first upgrade (as opposed to repair) that I'd think about.

Jim Clark-Dawe

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 1:42 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I have done many upgrades, but have not yet replaced my old Sea-ways. One thing I will say, is that if you are sure you are going to be sailing for a few years, it is much cheaper to buy a good newer used boat if a new boat is unaffordable.

I have a couple of grand into upgrading things on mine (although much of that was on new sails, that I love, but weren't cheap). I still have the old rudders (rebuilt) and the old main blocks.

I can only justify my original purchase based on the fact that all I knew was that I wanted to learn to sail, and I wanted to try it as inexpensively as I could, so my $800 sailable purchase was right on the mark.

Newer used boats are really hard to find, however, as they sold much fewer after 1995, it seams (about the time SeaDoo's, etc, got popular).

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 2:27 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I understand newer hardware is also newer technology and allows for more performance from a boat. My plan is to sail with what I've got, run what ya brung, and as I learn more and sail more, then I will upgrade my boat starting with the main blocks and then jib set up and so forth. The boat that I have was barely used and works great as it is right now. I'm just going to enjoy it the way it is, factory original, call me a purist, lol. I'm a casual sailer, not a racer.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 2:45 pm 
Site Admin

Agree! Run what ya brung! Nothing wrong with what you have.

When/if you do decide to upgrade to lo pro 6:1, what you will find is less potential for pitch pole as you can move the rig aft quite a lot. That allows you to sail at a higher pointing angle too... and to push harder in good breeze and the sail is much easier to pull in... less fatigue.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)