Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 8:40 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Aussie jib question
PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2017 5:04 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I've installed an Aussie jib kit on my boat but there is no instruction on how to use it. Do I continue to attach the nylon jib hank onto the forestay or do I hoist the jib completely independent of the forestay? If the latter, will the Aussie jib tension the rig or do I need to snug up my shroud wires?

Post subject: Re: Aussie jib question
PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2017 6:18 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Not having an Aussie setup myself, I would still think you use the Jib hank and, yes it does tension the rig just like the stock setup did, just from a different point.

79 H16 #46803

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2017 12:48 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

So, what's the difference between the two setups and what is the benefit of the Aussie set up. Can the system be used on older H16's like mine?

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 8:09 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

HobieMarty wrote:
So, what's the difference between the two setups and what is the benefit of the Aussie set up. Can the system be used on older H16's like mine?
You're hijacking my thread. I'm looking for an answer from someone who is using the Aussie jib.

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 11:36 am 
Hobie Approved Guru

sunvista wrote:
Do I continue to attach the nylon jib hank onto the forestay or do I hoist the jib completely independent of the forestay?
Yes, absolutely.

sunvista wrote:
If the latter, will the Aussie jib tension the rig or do I need to snug up my shroud wires?

The Aussie halyard tensions the rig. You do not need to adjust your shroud wires.

The major benefit of the Aussie halyard is that the tension on the line coming down the mast is 1/3 of the tension on the wire in the original system. Since the line is typically cleated off on the side of the mast, this reduces the tendency of the jib halyard to rotate the mast on its own.

On new boats, the lower turning block is on the front of the mast - that completely eliminates the jib halyard's influence on mast rotation.

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2017 7:04 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Dang dude, wasn't hijacking, was just asking a ligitimate question, but sorry to ask something that might pertain, and benefit others that have older H16s... my bad.

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2017 1:35 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

HobieMarty wrote:
Dang dude, wasn't hijacking, was just asking a ligitimate question, but sorry to ask something that might pertain, and benefit others that have older H16s... my bad.
No worries. Your question was answered as well. Also with the Aussie jib you don't have a single point failure. On the stock setup if the upper fore-stay or pigtail fails you lose your fore-stay, jib and the mast comes down. The Aussie jib setup uses a bifurcated cable as separate attachment points for the jib and fore-stay wires. Lose one and you don't lose your mast. If you have an older boat, especially around salt water, next time your mast is down give the pigtail a counter-clockwise twist and see how many strands are broken. Most people replace their standing rigging every few years but leave the 35 year old pigtail in place.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2017 5:30 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Thank you and I appreciate your knowledge and explanation of the system. The sharing of knowledge is what grows our community. Happy sailing!